>"Less well known is that these [economic power, stockmarket], competing
trends of development and identity politics are together fuelling a
striking third trend: a growing north-south split."

>"How the split is managed
<https://www.economist.com/asia/2024/02/29/inside-narendra-modis-battle-to-win-over-the-south>
 in the long run is of critical importance to India’s prospects. In one
alarming scenario, it could create a constitutional crisis and fracture
India’s single market. In a more benign future, resolving this divide could
moderate India’s harsh identity politics."

>"Consider the shift in global supply chains from China to India: 46% of
India’s electronics exports are from the south. In India’s famous startup
scene, 46% of tech 'unicorns' are southerners, coming especially from
Bangalore. The five southern states provide 66% of the it-services
industry’s exports. The latest craze is for 'global capability centres',
where multinationals assemble their global auditors, lawyers, designers,
architects and other professionals: 79% of these hubs are in the south."

>"Even as the south acts as India’s economic engine, its politics are on a
separate planet from those of the north."

>"Mr Modi dreams of running a modern, tech-enabled central government that
reaches across the whole country. Yet for all his electoral triumphs, he
still lacks a truly national mandate."

>"Another way for the bjp to be competitive in the south is for it to
moderate its Hindutva message, restrain its promotion of Hindi, put more
weight on economic development and advance more moderate successors to Mr
Modi than his coterie of headbangers."

>"South India already offers a vision of the future for India’s economy. If
Mr Modi and his party choose wisely, the south may be an augury for its
politics, too."
----------------------------
Published in: *The Economist*
Date: February 29, 2024
The country’s regional division could make it—or break it

Most People know that India is a rising economic power
<https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2024/01/15/how-strong-is-indias-economy-under-narendra-modi>.
It is already the world’s fifth-largest economy and is growing faster than
any big rival, with a turbocharged stockmarket that is the fourth-largest
of any country’s. It is also common knowledge that India’s prime
minister, Narendra
Modi
<https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2024/01/26/ten-charts-reveal-narendra-modis-actual-record-in-office>
, is its most powerful in decades and that, as well as economic
development, his agenda includes a Hindu-first populism that can veer into
chauvinism and authoritarianism. Less well known is that these competing
trends of development and identity politics are together fuelling a
striking third trend: a growing north-south split.

The wealthy south is where you will find the slick new India, with its
startups, ITcampuses and gleaming iPhone-assembly plants. Yet Mr Modi’s
party gets a low share of its votes from there and relies on the poorer,
more populous, rural, Hindi-speaking north. This north-south divide will be
a defining issue in the election in April and May, in which Mr Modi is
expected to win a third term. How the split is managed
<https://www.economist.com/asia/2024/02/29/inside-narendra-modis-battle-to-win-over-the-south>
 in the long run is of critical importance to India’s prospects. In one
alarming scenario, it could create a constitutional crisis and fracture
India’s single market. In a more benign future, resolving this divide could
moderate India’s harsh identity politics.

Geographical divides often influence how countries develop. America’s
politics and economy still reflect the legacy of the civil war. When Deng
Xiaoping sought to open up China’s economy in 1992, he took a “southern
tour” to Guangdong province. His endorsement of its entrepreneurial culture
and history of openness thwarted Communist Party conservatives and led to
the boom that fuelled China’s rise as an economic superpower.

Understanding India’s divide begins with economics. The south has long been
richer and more urban. The southern five of India’s 28 states (Andhra
Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Telangana) contain 20% of the
population, but account for 30% of its loans and for 35% of the flow of
foreign investment in the past three years. Better government, education
and property rights help explain this outperformance and have fostered
enterprise and a more sophisticated financial system. A gap that has
existed since independence in 1947 has widened over the decades. In 1993
the south contributed 24% of India’s gdp. The latest figure is 31%.

When foreign bosses visit India they still pay tribute to the national
government in Delhi, but many of the most exciting business opportunities
require a flight to the south. Consider the shift in global supply chains
from China to India: 46% of India’s electronics exports are from the south.
In India’s famous startup scene, 46% of tech “unicorns” are southerners,
coming especially from Bangalore. The five southern states provide 66% of
the it-services industry’s exports. The latest craze is for “global
capability centres”, where multinationals assemble their global auditors,
lawyers, designers, architects and other professionals: 79% of these hubs
are in the south.

Even as the south acts as India’s economic engine, its politics are on a
separate planet from those of the north. There the emphasis is on the Hindi
language, macho Hindu identity politics and, often, the demonisation of
Muslims. Mr Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party (bjp) promotes all that alongside
its mantra of national development, partly out of ideological fervour and
partly because it wins elections.

In the south that bjp formula works less well. Since the 1960s voters have
backed regional parties that promote English, Tamil and other local
languages, and advocate less strident Hindu values. In 2019 only 11% of the
bjp’s voters and a mere 10% of its parliamentary seats were from the south.
In the party’s one southern bastion, Karnataka, the bjp lost control of the
state legislature in elections in 2023. Mr Modi dreams of running a modern,
tech-enabled central government that reaches across the whole country. Yet
for all his electoral triumphs, he still lacks a truly national mandate.

How will these geographical tensions be resolved? A thriving national
single market is crucial to India’s growth because it allows firms to
achieve economies of scale for the first time and permits a more efficient
allocation of national resources, from energy to labour. Inter-state trade
rose from 23% of gdp in 2017 to 35% in 2021, underpinning growth. Mr Modi
has done an impressive job of creating nationwide infrastructure, from a
unitary tax system to transport and digital-payments schemes.

Yet under India’s constitution most of these reforms required co-operation
between the central government and the states. So will the next lot. Education,
which needs deeper reform, is a joint responsibility. More young Indians in
the jobs-scarce north must be able to move to find work in the south. To
power its economy and cut emissions India needs a truly national energy
market.

Pessimists fear a re-elected Mr Modi will upset the constitutional
balance. Southern
leaders already accuse him of targeting them with bogus corruption probes,
withholding central-government funds and extracting an unfair level of tax
to subsidise the north. The south could also lose out after 2026 when
parliamentary-constituency boundaries are due to be redrawn. Against the
south’s wishes, the bjp could impose Hindi as the national language.

Over the next decade this kind of confrontation could get in the way of
essential economic reforms. In the very worst scenario it could even lead
to calls to break up India. Talk of secession last surfaced after
independence and was suppressed with a ban in 1963 on any politician
proposing it.
A different future

Fortunately, India and Mr Modi have a far better alternative. Another way
for the bjp to be competitive in the south is for it to moderate its
Hindutva message, restrain its promotion of Hindi, put more weight on
economic development and advance more moderate successors to Mr Modi than
his coterie of headbangers. It is early days, but our reporting from
alongside the bjp’s southern leadership this week suggests that some of
these shifts may be taking place. South India already offers a vision of