>"High blood pressure 'is a smoldering public health crisis,' said Dr.
Rishi K. Wadhera, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical
School."

>"High blood pressure can raise the risk of heart attack, stroke
<https://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/facts.htm#:~:text=Having%20hypertension%20puts%20you%20at,death%20in%20the%20United%20States.&text=In%202021%2C%20hypertension%20was%20a,deaths%20in%20the%20United%20States.>
, pregnancy complications
<https://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/pregnancy.htm#:~:text=The%20mother's%20high%20blood%20pressure,to%20deliver%20the%20baby%20early.>
 and other health problems, but the symptoms are 'often silent,' Dr.
Wadhera said."

>"Blood pressure is the force that blood exerts against artery walls
<https://www.heart.org/en/news/2022/05/23/monitoring-blood-pressure-at-home-can-be-tricky-heres-how-to-do-it-right>
 in the heart, said Dr. Jim Liu, a cardiologist at the Ohio State
University Wexner Medical Center."

>"Multiple risk factors have been linked to high blood pressure, including
smoking
<https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/health/smokings-health-toll-worse-than-previously-thought-study-says.html>
, heavy drinking
<https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.123.21224>, obesity
<https://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/prevent.htm#:~:text=Keep%20Yourself%20at%20a%20Healthy,CDC's%20Assessing%20Your%20Weight%20website.>
 and chronic stress
<https://www.nytimes.com/article/how-to-deal-with-stress.html>. A lack of
exercise and diets high in sodium and processed foods
<https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/high-blood-pressure/changes-you-can-make-to-manage-high-blood-pressure/shaking-the-salt-habit-to-lower-high-blood-pressure>
 have also been associated with an increased risk of hypertension."

>“'Blood pressure is the most modifiable risk factor for heart disease and
stroke,' Dr. Gulati [Martha, the director of preventive cardiology at the
Smidt Heart Institute at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles] said. 'With lifestyle
changes and medications, our patients can take control of it — and their
heart health.'”
----------------------
By: Liz Szabo
Published in: *The New York Times*
Date: February  29, 2024
And how to get it under control.

Nearly half of American adults have high blood pressure — but only a
quarter of those with hypertension have it under control
<https://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/facts.htm#:~:text=About%25201%2520in%25204%2520adults,22.5%2525%252C%252027.0%2520million).>
, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

High blood pressure “is a smoldering public health crisis,” said Dr. Rishi
K. Wadhera, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School
and an author of new research showing that blood pressure screenings
<https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama-health-forum/fullarticle/2814606> have
not returned to what they were before the coronavirus pandemic.

High blood pressure can raise the risk of heart attack, stroke
<https://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/facts.htm#:~:text=Having%20hypertension%20puts%20you%20at,death%20in%20the%20United%20States.&text=In%202021%2C%20hypertension%20was%20a,deaths%20in%20the%20United%20States.>
, pregnancy complications
<https://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/pregnancy.htm#:~:text=The%20mother's%20high%20blood%20pressure,to%20deliver%20the%20baby%20early.>
 and other health problems, but the symptoms are “often silent,” Dr.
Wadhera said.

“I worry it flies under the radar for many patients,” he added.

Here’s what to know about the issue, and how to get your blood pressure
under control.
What is blood pressure? And what’s a normal level?
Blood pressure is the force that blood exerts against artery walls
<https://www.heart.org/en/news/2022/05/23/monitoring-blood-pressure-at-home-can-be-tricky-heres-how-to-do-it-right>
 in the heart, said Dr. Jim Liu, a cardiologist at the Ohio State
University Wexner Medical Center. You’ll always hear your blood pressure
given as two numbers: The top number, known as systolic pressure, measures
that force when the heart contracts. The bottom number, known as diastolic
pressure, gauges the force when the heart muscle relaxes. It’s measured in
units known as millimeters of mercury
<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279251/>, or mm Hg.

You can have your blood pressure checked during a medical appointment or at
a pharmacy, or you can check it yourself with a home monitor. The American
Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology define normal
blood pressure
<https://newsroom.heart.org/news/high-blood-pressure-redefined-for-first-time-in-14-years-130-is-the-new-high>
 as below 120/80 mm Hg. The C.D.C. defines high blood pressure as 130/80 mm
Hg or higher.

Very high blood pressure can cause symptoms
<https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/hypertension> including
severe headaches, chest pain and dizziness. For many people, however, blood
pressure increases too gradually for them to notice these issues, Dr. Liu
said.

Why is high blood pressure harmful?
High blood pressure forces the heart to work harder to pump blood. Over
time, the overwhelmed heart can slowly start to falter and struggle to pump
blood out to the rest of the body, a condition called heart failure.

The force and friction of high blood pressure can also injure the delicate
lining of the arteries
<https://www.nyp.org/healthlibrary/multimedia/how-high-blood-pressure-damages-arteries#:~:text=High%20blood%20pressure%20means%20that,lead%20to%20many%20health%20problems.>
, Dr. Liu said. Tears in the artery wall allow LDL cholesterol
<https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/31/well/live/cholesterol-tests-levels-heart-disease.html>
 — also known as the “bad” cholesterol — to latch on and form clumps, or
plaques, in these gaps. This can block blood flow and, in some patients,
cause a heart attack.

Blockages in arteries that carry blood to the brain can lead to a stroke.
Long-term damage to blood vessels in the brain can also lead to a condition
called vascular dementia
<https://www.bloodpressureuk.org/your-blood-pressure/understanding-your-blood-pressure/why-is-high-blood-pressure-a-problem/vascular-dementia-and-high-blood-pressure/#:~:text=Over%2520time%252C%2520uncontrolled%2520high%2520blood,refers%2520to%2520the%2520blood%2520vessels.>
, Dr. Liu said.

What leads to high blood pressure?
All arteries stiffen over time, leading blood pressure to climb steadily as
people age. By age 75, an estimated
<https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31992061/> 80 percent of men and 86
percent of women in the United States have high blood pressure
<https://www.heart.org/en/news/2020/05/18/is-high-blood-pressure-inevitable-heres-how-to-keep-it-in-check>
.

Multiple risk factors have been linked to high blood pressure, including
smoking
<https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/health/smokings-health-toll-worse-than-previously-thought-study-says.html>
, heavy drinking
<https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.123.21224>, obesity
<https://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/prevent.htm#:~:text=Keep%20Yourself%20at%20a%20Healthy,CDC's%20Assessing%20Your%20Weight%20website.>
 and chronic stress
<https://www.nytimes.com/article/how-to-deal-with-stress.html>. A lack of
exercise and diets high in sodium and processed foods
<https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/high-blood-pressure/changes-you-can-make-to-manage-high-blood-pressure/shaking-the-salt-habit-to-lower-high-blood-pressure>
 have also been associated with an increased risk of hypertension.

How can you reduce your blood pressure?
For some people, lifestyle changes can be as powerful as medication, said
Dr. Martha Gulati, the director of preventive cardiology at the Smidt Heart
Institute at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles. She recommends at least 30 minutes
<https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/in-depth/high-blood-pressure/art-20046974#:~:text=It's%20important%20to%20keep%20exercising,high%20blood%20pressure%20(hypertension).>
 of moderate exercise a day and sleeping seven to nine hours a night
<https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20373417#treatment>
, both of which are associated with lower blood pressure. Maintaining or
achieving a healthy body weight can also reduce blood pressure, Dr. Gulati
said.

Avoiding products that contain nicotine is important. Using nicotine drives
up blood pressure
<https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-lifestyle/quit-smoking-tobacco/how-smoking-and-nicotine-damage-your-body>
, narrows blood vessels and may contribute to the hardening of arteries,
according to the American Heart Association.

Some research suggests
<https://bcmj.org/sites/default/files/BCMJ_54_Vol8_lifestyle_mods.pdf> that
following a low-sodium diet could reduce blood pressure by two to eight mm
Hg for some patients, and that adopting the DASH diet — which emphasizes
fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products — could reduce blood pressure
by eight to 14 points. Abstaining from alcohol or limiting consumption to
no more than one glass per day for women and two glasses for men could
reduce blood pressure by two to four points.

People who can’t lower their blood pressure to normal levels through
lifestyle changes will need medication, Dr. Gulati said. Water pills, or
diuretics, help remove sodium and water from the body, bringing down blood
pressure. Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors and angiotensin II
receptor blockers (ARBs) both relax blood vessels, though they work in
different ways. Calcium channel blockers help relax the muscle cells of
blood vessels, and some slow your heart rate. People who can’t lower their
blood pressure with these drugs may need additional medications. Doctors
take a patient’s age, health and risk factors into consideration before
deciding what medication to prescribe.

“Blood pressure is the most modifiable risk factor for heart disease and
stroke,” Dr. Gulati said. “With lifestyle changes and medications, our
patients can take control of it — and their heart health.”