The Brazilian Music and Culture Club was launched in Goa
recently.  Marcelle Feigol Guil, the Guimarães Rosa Visiting
Lecturer (Portuguese Language & Brazilian Studies) at the
Shenoy Goembab School of Language and Literature (Goa
University) curated the songs below, specially for the event.
Sessions are expected to continue till April.

Here are the links to some of the videos watched as part of
the first session titled "Músicas de Carnaval".  Also
included are links to informative websites on some of the
genres discussed, as well as the Youtube links where you can
find the songs listened to.

Carnaval songs according to their genres:

*Marchinha de Carnaval:*
Ó abre alas
(by Chiquinha Gonzaga)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_vaRKqCDYM

*Samba-enredo:*
Atrás da Verde e Rosa só não vai quem já morreu
(by Jamelão e Estação Primeira de Mangueira)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MS0tLrL1P4

*Axé:*
A Luz de Tiêta
(by Caetano Veloso - soundtrack of the film Tiêta do Agreste, based on the
novel of the same name by Jorge Amado)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFuhAaKwzeg
(recorded by Gal Costa and Caetano Veloso)

*Faraó*
(by Margareth Menezes, Brazil's current Minister of Culture)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMetkVlp9GY

*Afoxé/ Bloco afro*
Filhos de Gandhi
(by Gilberto Gil)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYTsk8E_PAw
(and Patuscada de Gandhi, which we didn't have time to listen to, but I
thought you'd also enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xXa6zAem1w)

*Frevo*:
https://www.travel-brazil-selection.com/informations/brazilian-culture/carnaval/recife-olinda/
*Sarandeiros:* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS8r3wG8-Js

*Maracatu:* https://jubadoleao.com/2/geek-out/what-is-maracatu/
*Maracatu de Baque Solto (Carnaval performance in Pernambuco):*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEsG45YRYwY

*Olodum:*
https://www.theurbandetective.com/blogs/how-the-brazilian-carnivals-band-olodum-became-a-massive-social-movement
Videoclip with Michael Jackson (recorded in Pelourinho, Salvador- Bahia):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNJL6nfu__Q

*Filhos de Gandhi:* https://www.britannica.com/topic/Filhos-de-Gandhy

*Parintins Folk Festival:*
https://www.kennedy-center.org/artists/p/pa-pn/-parintins-folk-festival/

The next session is on March 6, 2024.  Contact for Professora Marcelle
Feigol Guil +55 11 96544-7329 <+55%2011%2096544-7329> or
marc...@unigoa.ac.in <https://groups.google.com/>