https://www.heraldgoa.in/Cafe/Life-Support-for-the-Old-GMC/218714

It was not so long ago, but few people like to remember the magnificent Old
Goa Medical College building on the Mandovi riverfront was given to
Delhi-based realtors in 2007 to remake into “an upscale shopping mall.”
This was done at the behest and with the blessings of Manohar Parrikar, the
late chief minister and longstanding MLA of Panjim, who had revamped the
heritage precinct to host the International Film Festival of India three
years earlier, but now insisted the sprawling 19th-century premises would
be best used for peddling luxury goods to tourists. And that is precisely
what would have happened except for an unlikely activist intervention in
the form of Aparanta, an art exhibition curated by Ranjit Hoskote and
mounted by a handful of partners (including me) led by GTDC managing
director Sanjit Rodrigues.

Today it is taken for granted that Panjim is brilliantly suited for
large-scale cultural events, with people from all over the country flying
in to host their jamborees. But that was not the case in 2007, when the
exact opposite was true: even the best Goa-based writers and artists were
compelled to go elsewhere to showcase their work because conventional
wisdom held that India’s smallest state possessed no audience that
mattered. For just one example, I will never forget the dismissive,
derogatory comments of Fundação Oriente’s representative of the time when
asked for his support: “there’s no point – if you want to do anything that
matters take it to Mumbai or Delhi.” Those kinds of belittling comments
fired lasting anger, and fuelled our collective determination to make
Aparanta the blueprint for an alternative future.

Hoskote laid it out precisely in his magisterial curatorial essay *Mapping
the Invisible River: Contemporary Art in Goa*, itself an important
milestone in the making of our contemporary cultural trajectory: “Aparanta
intervenes in an existing context; at the same time, it gestures towards
the new contexts that it can help frame around the art-works that form its
content. As a curator, I have always found exhibitions to be most
productive when they deal with the problems that beset an art-making ethos,
not when they celebrate what are taken to be the triumphs of that ethos. A
problem, attentively handled, can be more rewarding than a triumph,
complacently assumed [and] Aparanta is intended to make a major statement:
that Goa, far from being a cultural backwater remote from the centres of
Bombay, Delhi and Bangalore, is a seed-bed of artistic excellence.”

Part of the problem was hidden history: “Goan art has long been an
invisible river, one that has fed into the wider flow of Indian art but has
not always been recognised as so doing. This, despite the presence of such
master spirits of Goan origin – active throughout the colonial,
postcolonial and globalisation periods – as A X Trindade, Angelo da
Fonseca, F N Souza, V S Gaitonde and Laxman Pai. This, also, despite the
presence on the contemporary Indian gallery circuit, of consummately
accomplished artists like Antonio e Costa, Querozito De Souza, Theodore
Mariano Mesquita and Viraj Naik. The glossy stereotype is a more effective
blinder than the heated needle of the mediaeval executioner: the
associations of sun, sand, sex and carnival are so pervasive that even the
better-informed denizens of the Indian art world seem unaware of the
vibrancy of the art scene in Goa.”

But there were also fundamental misunderstandings to be addressed: “Any
sensitive viewer who spends a few days in Goa, visiting studios and
galleries (they are often the same space, since the absence of a
well-anchored gallery practice obliges artists to be their own agents,
entrepreneurially producing and distributing at the same time), will find
that Goa has brilliant, meteorically brilliant artists. But the lack of a
context has left them afloat in a void of discussion. Geographical
contiguity does not mean that Goa and mainland India share the same
universe of meaning: Goa’s special historic evolution, with its Lusitanian
route to the Enlightenment and print modernity, its Iberian emphasis on a
vibrant public sphere, its pride in its ancient internationalism avant la
lettre, sets it at a tangent to the self-image of an India that has been
formed with the experience of British colonialism as its basis. The
relationship between Goa’s artists and mainland India has, not
surprisingly, been ambiguous and erratic, even unstable.”

As though this vital context were not pressing enough, Hoskote also pointed
out that “one of the reasons for our urgency was the threat of re-purposing
that was already hanging over the exquisite building in which the
exhibition unfolds, when our discussions began, at the end of February
2007. In the seven weeks that it has taken us to translate ‘Aparanta’ from
drawing board into physical existence, the Old GMC Building has been handed
over to a New Delhi-based promoter on a 30-year lease, to be converted into
a mall. Nothing could be further from the original genius of this site: the
grandeur of the Escola Medica Cirurgica de Goa and its belle epoque
atmosphere ought to have been secured for a centre for the arts; instead,
it will now disappear beneath the glitz of swift-moving luxury goods.”

Rather amazingly – and to some extent I can still hardly believe it – the
mall never happened. Unprecedented numbers of Goans showed up to wander the
Old GMC to experience their own art history encompassed on exhibition for
the first time: masters of the past like Fonseca, Gaitonde, Souza and Pai
plus nineteen contemporary exemplars, as well as Dayanita Singh of New
Delhi and Saligao – who is in my opinion India’s greatest living artist –
and the Bombay-based Goa Art College graduates Baiju Parthan and Vidya
Kamat. The effect was both exquisite and highly impactful. There were many
rave reviews, and India Today’s Kalidas Swaminathan called it “a cumulative
voice and a cause to claim national attention”. That is when public opinion
quickly shifted against Parrikar’s plans, and finally it was the doctors of
the state – ex-GMC students all – who protested to ensure their old alma
mater would never become a shopping complex.

Looking back across 17 years, that moment of triumph appears distinctly
bittersweet. There was so much momentum and promise after Aparanta, with
all the ingredients and individuals in place to change the paradigm as
intended, but every bit of that hopeful energy was squandered thereafter,
and the situation reverted to almost exactly what Hoskote described nearly
two decades ago. We do have tiny pockets of excellence created by private
efforts: Sunaparanta in Altinho, Fundação Oriente’s galleries in
Fontainhas, MoCA in Old Goa. But the failure of the state has been abject
and absolute, an undeniable disgrace that should make us all hang our heads
in shame. We have the greatest legacies but no museum worth its name, and
no public collection to honour our own masters. What once belonged to Kala
Academy and Institute Menezes Braganza has disappeared. Huge sums were
expended to restore the Adil Shah palace to house contemporary art, but
that peerless building is crumbling to dust once again due to criminal
misuse and neglect. We can clearly observe other states like Tamil Nadu
building world-class arts infrastructure under budget in record time, but
it is only Goa splurging millions of dollars to destroy its own cultural
jewels like Kala Academy.

Such painful baggage is why I enjoyed the recent Goa Open Arts festival so
much, with an overwhelming sense of relief for its sensitive and sensible
use of the Old GMC. We have become accustomed to mountains of cash being
splashed out on that marvellous heritage complex for various cultural
extravaganzas, with zero lasting benefits for city or citizens, but here
was an outstanding reminder that much better results can be achieved by
simply allowing the structure to breathe the way it was originally
intended. There was little waste, and no sense of oppression from the
totally inappropriate, with only the beautiful bones of this very lovely
centuries-old architecture come alive with consistently relevant and
meaningful art and activities. That is what should be happening every day
in our city and state spilling over with arts and culture and spectacular
venues both old and new, but the sad truth is it almost never does. For
their spirited reminder of what could still be our future if enough people
come together to make it happen, my salute to Diptej Vernekar, Gurpreet
Sidhu, Sitara and Gopika Chowfla, and Prashant Panjiar.