>The Supreme Court on Monday (March 11) refused to stay the Bombay high
court judgment acquitting former Delhi University professor G.N. Saibaba
and five others in a UAPA case, saying that the high court’s order is *prima
facie* 'very well reasoned.'"

>“'There are two orders of acquittal by two different benches. *Prima facie*,
we find that the judgment is very well-reasoned. Since on an earlier
occasion, this court had interfered, we’ll have to honour that. Otherwise,
this is a very well-reasoned judgment by the high court. In ordinary
course, we would not have entertained this appeal. The parameters of
interference with acquittal orders are very limited.'”

>“'The law is that there is a presumption of innocence. Once there’s an
order of acquittal, that presumption gets fortified,' [said Justice Gavai]."
--------------------------
By: The Wire Staff
Published in: *The Wire*
Date: March 11, 2024
Source:
https://thewire.in/law/very-well-reasoned-sc-refuses-to-stay-bombay-hc-order-acquitting-saibaba-others

"It's a hard-earned acquittal. How many years has the man spent in jail?"
Justice Mehta said.

*New Delhi: *The Supreme Court on Monday (March 11) refused to stay the
Bombay high court judgment acquitting former Delhi University professor
G.N. Saibaba and five others in a UAPA case, saying that the high court’s
order is *prima facie* “very well reasoned”.

According to *LiveLaw*
<https://www.livelaw.in/top-stories/supreme-court-gn-saibaba-alleged-maoist-links-case-uapa-state-of-maharashtra-251834>,
a bench of Justices B.R. Gavai and Sandeep Mehta were hearing a special
leave petition filed by the state of Maharashtra. The bench pointed out
that Saibaba had (sic) his co-accused had been acquitted twice, by two
different benches of the high court.

The judges told Additional Solicitor General S.V. Raju, appearing for
Maharashtra:

“There are two orders of acquittal by two different benches. *Prima facie*,
we find that the judgment is very well-reasoned. Since on an earlier
occasion, this court had interfered, we’ll have to honour that. Otherwise,
this is a very well-reasoned judgment by the high court. In ordinary
course, we would not have entertained this appeal. The parameters of
interference with acquittal orders are very limited.”

“It’s a hard-earned acquittal. How many years has the man spent in jail?”
Justice Mehta added, followed by Justice Gavai saying, “The law is that
there is a presumption of innocence. Once there’s an order of acquittal,
that presumption gets fortified.”

As *The Wire* has reported
<https://thewire.in/law/saibaba-acquittal-from-lack-of-sanction-to-dodgy-evidence-high-court-judgment-tears-into-states-case>,
the Bombay high court judgment had criticised both the state’s probe and
the trial court judgment finding the men guilty. Justice Vinay G. Joshi and
Justice Valimiki S. Menezes on March 5 acquitted Saibaba, along with
journalist Prashant Rahi, Mahesh Tikri, Hem Keshwdatta Mishra and Vijay Nan
Tikri of all charges. The sixth person in the case, Pandu Narote, died in
August 2022, awaiting this verdict.

Saibaba, who is wheelchair-bound and is over 90% handicapped, said he can’t
move an inch without others’ help. He said after his release that it is “only
by chance
<https://thewire.in/rights/it-is-only-by-chance-that-i-came-out-of-prison-alive-g-n-saibaba>”
that he is coming out of jail alive.

This is the second time in two years that the Nagpur bench has acquitted
Saibaba and others. On October 14, 2022, the same court, comprising of
Justice Rohit B. Deo and Anil Pansare had overturned the Gadchiroli session
court’s judgement. Barring Vijay Tikri, who was convicted to ten years
rigorous punishment, the others were awarded life sentences.

In 2022, discharging all five accused, Justice Deo had observed that the
due process of law cannot be sacrificed at the altar of “perceived peril to
national security”. The bench directed the convicts to be released
forthwith from jail unless they are accused in any other case.

The defence lawyers appearing for Saibaba and others had challenged the
validity of the sanction order issued to prosecute under the stringent
provisions of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA). They had
relied on Section 41 (A) of the UAPA which clearly states that, “No court
shall take cognizance of any offence without the previous sanction of the
Central Government or any officer authorised by the Central Government on
this behalf”.

The HC in 2022 had called the absence of a valid sanction order as “bad in
law and invalid”.

Even with the HC’s order, the Nagpur central jail authorities had refused
to release them immediately and meanwhile, the state government had rushed
to the Supreme Court seeking stay on the order, and had received one.