On March 12th we observe the birth anniversary of Goa’s first Chief
Minister Dayanand Bandodkar who assumed office on 20th December 1963 and
continued as Chief Minister till his sudden death on 12th August 1973.
Affectionately referred to by all as ‘Bhausaheb’ he relentlessly raised and
pursued issues concerning the backward, down-trodden, and neglected
communities. He toiled with a vision and passion towards laying the
foundations of Goa’s development which he very ably managed, including
Daman and Diu with just two Ministers during his first term and later three.

As a school student I had the privilege of interacting with Dayanand
Bandodkar and I recollect with nostalgia witnessing those great debates in
the Legislative Assembly and his pointed but witty replies. Dayanand
Bandodkar dared to speak from his heart and always walked the talk.

It is imperative that students in our schools and colleges today should be
made aware of the very rich and invaluable contribution to Goa by Dayanand
Bandodkar who cannot be consigned as our forgotten hero.