>"Part of Ramadan’s joy is the act of looking forward: to iftar, the meal
that breaks the fast every evening; to Laylat al-Qadr, the night when the
first verses of the Quran were revealed to the Prophet Muhammad; to the
feast of Eid, which marks the end of daily sacrifice. How do you celebrate
the holy month when you fear the suffering will not end?"

>"In my [Zaina Arafat's] dad’s memories, Christian and Jewish neighbors
were the first to come over to wish them happy Eid."

>"I believed in God and loved Islam, but my fasting was less about religion
than about ritual. In the diaspora, with its handed-down stories and its
longing to be elsewhere, Ramadan helped us connect with our heritage. It
offered belonging. The act of sacrifice taught me to appreciate whatever I
had—itself a Palestinian tradition, given how much the vagaries of history
had shaped our lives."

>"It’s difficult to imagine Ramadan in Gaza this year. I want to imagine
that, even at a time of devastation and deprivation, a personal act of
sacrifice can still lend purpose to senselessness. Maybe it can give
powerless people a small sense of control. When you fast, you can think, I
chose this hunger; it was not forced on me. But maybe that’s wishful
thinking. Hunger is painful. It is one of our most primal desires, and the
most human; inflicting it on someone else can seem inhuman. The only
antidote is to eat. And in the same way that food brings people together I
wonder whether its absence keeps us apart. Hunger makes us weak, and not
only physically. It cuts us off from the strength that comes from being
together."

>“'I don’t know what Ramadan in Gaza will be like this year, during the
war,' Reda [my (Zaina) uncle’s wife] wrote to me in Arabic. 'But I can tell
you how it used to be.'”
-----------------------------
By: Zaina Arafat
Published in: *The New Yorker*
Date: March 11, 2024

How do you celebrate the holy month when you fear the suffering may not end?

On the evening of February 28th, thousands of people gathered on Al-Rashid
Street, in Gaza City, in hopes that a convoy of aid trucks would bring them
desperately needed food. The trucks arrived early the next morning, at
around a quarter to five. When a large crowd encircled them in an effort to
obtain food, Israeli forces, who were standing by, opened fire. More than a
hundred people were killed, and hundreds more
<https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-war-news-03-01-2024-86ab114fc0036d0b4fa5a69ed21964c6>
 were injured. Later, the Israeli Army said that its troops had felt
threatened, and that some Palestinians died in a stampede
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-war-news-03-01-2024-86ab114fc0036d0b4fa5a69ed21964c6&sa=D&source=docs&ust=1710182520993401&usg=AOvVaw3q7iafvHM1tgtxSj22MVOE>.
The day has become known as the “flour massacre.”

After I saw the news, I called my father to check on him. I’m in New York
and he lives in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., but much of our family is
in Gaza and the West Bank. He’d heard about what had happened but didn’t
know many details. “I can hardly stand to watch the news anymore,” he told
me.

I pointed out that in ten days many Muslims would start fasting for
Ramadan. I was struggling to imagine the holy month in Gaza, where the
World Food Program has been warning of mass starvation.

“Do you think people will still fast?”

“Of course they will still fast,” my father said. “They are fasting
already.”

He forwarded me a WhatsApp voice message from my cousin Jinan, in northern
Gaza. In December, Israeli forces attacked the U.N. school where Jinan was
taking shelter with her husband and two children. A blast broke her jaw,
and she could no longer eat solid food. Her daughter, Nouran, who loved to
draw anime, lost her right eye, part of her cheek, and the use of both
hands. They waited three days for the Palestinian Red Crescent to take them
to Al-Shifa hospital, and have been there ever since, waiting for
surgeries. Lately, Al-Shifa has also been treating survivors of the flour
massacre.

I was amazed to hear levity and humility in Jinan’s voice. “Our situation
is better than many others,” she said. “But what can we do—this is our fate
written by God. All we have is the Day of Judgment.”

I messaged Jinan to ask how she was doing, and what she was planning for
Ramadan. A day passed before she was able to respond. “Do you believe that
we haven’t tasted eggs or chicken for months,” she wrote back. She has been
surviving on pre-cooked rice, sometimes with lentils, hummus, and fava
beans. Her family can’t find fresh fruits or vegetables. “As for Ramadan,
we’re going to fast as we can . . . *Inshallah*we will manage.”

Lately, images from Gaza have been filling my Instagram feed. I keep seeing
photographs of Yazan al-Kafarneh, one of at least sixteen children who have
reportedly died from malnutrition or dehydration in Gaza. In old photos of
him, he looks like a ten-year-old boy. In more recent photos, his skin
appears wrinkled and yellow, his open eyes look hollow, and his skeleton is
clearly visible. I feel sick and sad and scared. How could anyone allow
this to happen to a child? In another post, I see a photo of a refugee tent
decorated with Ramadan lanterns.

As I read the news from Gaza, I think about the special cruelty of killing
hungry people. Death ends their misery, but forever denies them the relief
that they were seeking. Part of Ramadan’s joy is the act of looking
forward: to iftar, the meal that breaks the fast every evening; to Laylat
al-Qadr, the night when the first verses of the Quran were revealed to the
Prophet Muhammad; to the feast of Eid, which marks the end of daily
sacrifice. How do you celebrate the holy month when you fear the suffering
will not end?

My parents grew up in the West Bank, and their entire city, Nablus,
transformed for Ramadan: you could arrive late to work, businesses closed
early, and shops and restaurants reopened in the evenings for *souq nazel,* a
nightly descent into the Old Town market. My father, ten years older than
my mother, remembers the days before the Israeli occupation. At his
grandfather’s house, his family made dough and then brought it to a public
oven, to bake it into bread. Homemade lentil soup and *fattoush* salad were
always on the table, along with *qamar al-deen*, a juice made from dried
apricot. They waited to eat until they heard the call to prayer from the
local mosque. At night, in the Old Town, he and his friends sang, walked,
flirted, smoked *argileh*, and poured cups of mint tea or *sous*, a
licorice drink, from copper pitchers. Sometimes people would stay out until
*suhoor*, the predawn meal, and only then head home to sleep.

My mother was a child when the Israeli occupation began. Not all of her
four siblings fasted, and she found it too difficult. But she loved the
evening rituals. One of the kids would carry a plate to the local market,
ten minutes away, and spend a shilling, or about five cents, on hummus. If
there hadn’t been any incidents with Israeli forces that day, they could go
to the playground, but outings were often cut short by curfews. Each
morning, before sunrise, someone walked through the neighborhood banging a
drum, to let people know it was time to get up for the morning meal. On
Laylat al-Qadr, when the late-night sky is said to open for God to answer
all prayers, and angels are said to descend to earth, she and her siblings
would sit on their balcony and ask for money, clothes, or toys.

When the crescent-shaped moon appeared in the sky, Eid arrived. “We’ve put
a man on the moon, we used to say,” my mom told me, laughing, “but we still
can’t tell when Eid will be until the day before.” In preparation, she laid
her outfit on her bed as her mother chased one of her younger brothers
around the house, trying to wrangle him into his Eid clothes. My father’s
Eid was different: he’d wake up early for morning prayer, then head to the
cemetery to read verses from the Quran at family graves. They’d give meals
and sweets—often date-filled *ma’mool* or cheesy, syrupy *knafeh*—to people
who couldn’t afford it, or who had lost spouses or parents. (According to
the Hadith—the teachings of the Prophet—anyone who supports an orphan goes
to Heaven.) After breakfast, they visited family; children kissed the hands
of elders and received a few coins. In my dad’s memories, Christian and
Jewish neighbors were the first to come over to wish them happy Eid.

My parents did their best to hand down these traditions to my brother and me.
In the D.C. suburbs, Ramadan was one of my favorite times of the year. When
I was old enough to fast, my father started waking me up for *suhoor* with
a bowl of cinnamon Life cereal, which I slurped down before falling back
asleep. At school, I couldn’t eat or drink, so I dipped cafeteria French
fries in ketchup and fed them to my friends. At birthday parties, I took a
piece of cake home with me to enjoy after dark. We watched Al Jazeera’s
recorded broadcast from the Kaaba, in Mecca, until the sun went down. The
certainty that Ramadan would end, and so would the hunger, made the days
easier. So did the iftars we spent with friends, which sometimes doubled as
fund-raisers for Palestinians in need.

I always loved to eat—as a baby, I once scampered off my changing table to
snatch a falafel sandwich from my mother’s friend—but food never tasted
more delicious than after a day of longing. My favorite dish was *bazella*:
chopped carrots, green peas, tomato sauce, and cubes of lamb served over
basmati rice. For dessert, we ate *atayief*—little pancakes that were
folded over sweet cheese or walnuts, and then fried and doused in syrup—and
watched Syrian sitcoms on TV.

I believed in God and loved Islam, but my fasting was less about religion
than about ritual. In the diaspora, with its handed-down stories and its
longing to be elsewhere, Ramadan helped us connect with our heritage. It
offered belonging. The act of sacrifice taught me to appreciate whatever I
had—itself a Palestinian tradition, given how much the vagaries of history
had shaped our lives. So much depended on when and where you were born:
were you Forty-eighters or Sixty-seveners? Displaced or occupied? I could
endure the hunger because I was part of something, and we were together.

One aspect of Ramadan, for my parents, is remembering better days. Even as
a child, my mother wished that she could have celebrated like her mother
did before the occupation. My father misses Ramadan during his college
days, in Egypt, when the Nile glowed with lights and theatres played movies
from the fifties, Cairo’s golden age of cinema. Too often, these stories
are followed by talk of how much has changed. Two years ago, my mother and
her brother drove through a town near Nablus on their way to an iftar.
Israeli soldiers seemed to be everywhere, carrying guns. “I’m scared,” she
told him.

“Why?” he said. “It’s always like this now.”

It’s difficult to imagine Ramadan in Gaza this year. I want to imagine
that, even at a time of devastation and deprivation, a personal act of
sacrifice can still lend purpose to senselessness. Maybe it can give
powerless people a small sense of control. When you fast, you can think, I
chose this hunger; it was not forced on me. But maybe that’s wishful
thinking. Hunger is painful. It is one of our most primal desires, and the
most human; inflicting it on someone else can seem inhuman. The only
antidote is to eat. And in the same way that food brings people together I
wonder whether its absence keeps us apart. Hunger makes us weak, and not
only physically. It cuts us off from the strength that comes from being
together.

In Islam, Ramadan is the month during which the Quran was revealed as a
guide for humanity. God prescribes fasting as a means of self-discipline, a
way to show Muslims what they’re capable of and to protect themselves from
hellfire. But He is merciful; not everyone is called on to fast, especially
if doing so causes harm. The Quran grants exceptions to those who are
pregnant, breast-feeding, or menstruating, and to people who are
travelling, elderly, or ill. Starvation or P.T.S.D. would count as
illnesses; fleeing your home would count as travel. These exemptions seem
almost absurd, and maybe they won’t matter. Some will choose to fast
regardless. Sometimes the best way to forget one pain is to focus on
another.

I stopped fasting in college, mostly because I was away from home, but I
went to iftars hosted by my classmates, and I often returned to D.C. for
Eid. My uncle, the one who hated Eid clothes, always brings his five kids
to brunch at the Silver Diner, in Tysons, Virginia, and we order pancakes
for dessert. In the afternoon, we visit my mother’s cousin and his wife,
where we eat more. My uncle plays the piano, and my mother’s cousin sings
on the guitar.

In November, 2022, I gave birth to my first daughter, Nour. Motherhood has
made Ramadan more important to me. I want to give Nour what I had—a
heritage that’s being erased, and one that’s become increasingly dangerous
to inhabit, both here and in Palestine. During Nour’s first-ever Ramadan,
my mother came to visit and spent many mornings playing Arabic songs for
her, particularly one by the legendary Egyptian singer Abdel Halim Hafez.
During Nour’s tummy time, my mother told her that she’s not only American
but also Palestinian. And when Eid came, a couple weeks later, my wife and
I took Nour to a Moroccan restaurant, and then to the bucket swings at the
playground. I missed the Silver Diner, but there was something special
about forming our own Ramadan traditions.

Lately, I’ve been thinking about mothers in Gaza. I read in the news that,
at one Gaza clinic, one in five pregnant women are malnourished, which
makes it difficult to produce breast milk; eighty per cent of mothers have
been skipping meals to feed their children. Jinan told me that mothers have
been feeding their children green leaves cooked with tomato paste and a
pinch of rice. Others try to quiet their desperately hungry children by
giving them chewing gum. These stories make me think of my pregnancy, when
I often woke up ravenous—not only for myself but for Nour. After she was
born, her most painful and guttural cries came when she was hungry. I
cannot imagine hearing them with nothing to offer her.

This year, my mother will spend the last week of Ramadan with us in
Brooklyn. If all goes well, a few days before Eid, my wife will give birth
to our second child—one more reason to try to celebrate. I sometimes think
about how I will explain their first Ramadans to them when they’re older:
how important it was to find slivers of joy in times of grief and despair,
especially as a parent; how sometimes, for Palestinians, the only thing
that keeps you going is the hope that things will get better.

The other day, I sent a Facebook voice note to my uncle’s wife, Reda. She
lives in Jordan, but she spent most of her life in Gaza, and her immediate
family is still there. In December, her brother walked ten miles with his
eight-month-old daughter on his back, breathing in dust and keeping his
arms in the air, in hopes that soldiers would not shoot him. “I don’t know
what Ramadan in Gaza will be like this year, during the war,” Reda wrote to
me in Arabic. “But I can tell you how it used to be.”

She sent me an Instagram reel, which was filmed during Ramadan in 2023. I
could hardly believe that I was looking at Gaza. A lantern, decorated with
a moon and star, was hanging in a store with fully stocked shelves.
Outside, lights had been dangled over the street and wrapped around trees.
I saw plastic bins of pickled vegetables, buckets of candy, and barrels
that practically spilled over with fruit. Cars drove through the streets;
young people hung out at a lit café. She also sent the photograph I’d seen
earlier, of the refugee tent strung with lights. The juxtaposition said
what she perhaps couldn’t.

I watched the video while sitting on my bed. I felt heartbroken, and also
proud of what Gaza was, of who Gazans are, of what Palestine means. My wife
put her hand on my shoulder. Then I played it again, trying to remember
better days. ♦