Mar 15 2024

There's a cartoon that makes the rounds regularly. It shows our globe with
the heads of Easter Island on one side, and the stone pillars of Stonehenge
on the other, looking like feet. Finally an explanation for these two
strange phenomena: a man through the centre of the Earth.

A gigantic man.

More seriously, though, what would happen if we humans did try to burrow
through the planet in an effort to get to the other side? Or in fact, is
this possible at all?

Maybe you know the answer. Bear with me through my Mint column for January
26, as I explore the issues this effort raises.

Journey to the certainty of death:
https://www.livemint.com/opinion/columns/journey-to-the-certainty-of-death-11706206542146.html

Write to me about it, preferably not as you are burrowing.

cheers,
dilip

---

Journey to the certainty of death

Somewhere right in the middle, you'd be weightless. Might feel kind of
funky. But certainly privileged too: after all, how many of us get to
experience weightlessness? Only, you'd likely also be dead.

That last might be one reason nobody has tried the experiment. Then again,
there is actually a more compelling reason than death: this is a pretty
much impossible thing to carry out. Except as a thought experiment.

And what am I referring to? Drilling a hole through the Earth and crawling
all the way through to the other side. Somewhere in the middle, you will be
weightless for a short while. That alone would be enough to attract me to
such an effort, were someone ever to attemt it. But how to cope with death?

Before we try answering that, let's get something about all this straight.
Assuming you could drill all the way through the Earth, it's more than
likely that when you get to the other end, you'll have an ocean draining
into the hole. Put another way, the great majority of points on land on our
planet have antipodes - the points diametrically across the planet - that
are not on land.

For example, if you started drilling in Mumbai, you would emerge smack in
the South Pacific, something like 3000 km west of Lima, Peru. Similarly if
you began in New Delhi, or Kolkata ... in fact, from anywhere in India.
Similarly Moscow, London or Cairo. Start from San Francisco and you'll end
up with the Indian Ocean flooding you. Tokyo, the South Atlantic.
Melbourne, the North Atlantic. Dig in Lima, on the other hand, and you'll
emerge somewhere in Cambodia. And wait, it's not quite anywhere in India.
There is a point about 40km northwest of Jaisalmer from where a hole
through the centre of the Earth will take you to Easter Island.

(Aside: how do we know all this? Take the latitude and longitude of where
you want to start - Mumbai is about 19°N, 73°E. The latitude of its
antipode is thus 19°S. The longitude there is (180-73)°W, or 107°W. Check
that: 19°S, 107°W is in the South Pacific. Water, water everywhere.)

The point is, you will need to very carefully select a spot to start
digging, to ensure you finish on land and don't drown instead. So yes, you
can start northwest of Jaisalmer and aim to arrive, not having drowned, at
Easter Island.

Though as I've already hinted, drowning at the other end will likely be the
least of your problems. Start with simply digging down. The deepest gold
mine in the world is in South Africa, and it's about 3900m below the
surface. In China, scientists started digging a hole last July. They want
it to extend about 10,000m into the Earth, to study a layer of rocks known
to date back 145 million years. Still, it won't even be the deepest hole
humankind has ever dug. That honour goes to the Kola Superdeep Borehole in
Russia. Digging there started in 1970 and continued till 1992, when it had
penetrated to a depth of over 12,000m. It was discontinued then, and the
hole was sealed in 2005.

Deep as those holes are, the truth is that we humans haven't done too well
at digging through our planet - in the sense that we haven't got very far
at all. The Earth's radius is 6,371km. So even that Kola hole in Russia
completed less than 0.2% of the journey to the centre of our world. In
fact, the planet's "crust", its outermost layer that we are all standing
on, is about 35km thick on average. So it's no exaggeration to say that the
Kola hole barely even scratched the surface of the Earth.

Part of the reason is that there are physical limitations to such drilling
efforts. After all, you can't simply lower a drill bit into a deep hole and
rotate it. Why? Because, think of rotating a drill bit that's 12km long.
How is that going to happen?

Then again, nobody operates bits that long. There are more realistic ways
to dig that deep. But there are other constraints to deal with. Mainly, as
you get ever deeper, there's the ever-increasing pressure and heat.

For example, the heat in the gold mine I mentioned above, at 3900m below
ground level, is unbearable for miners. They could only work there because
it was air-conditioned. At the bottom of the Kola hole, the temperature was
180°C, impossible for humans to tolerate. These temperatures will only rise
as we get deeper into the Earth. Below the planet's crust is the mantle,
some 3000km thick. Then a 2250km thick outer core, followed by the inner
core, a molten iron ball with a radius of about 1250km. Now iron melts at a
temperature of over 1500°C. So we know the inner core is at least that hot.
In fact, at about 5000°C, it is much hotter. Even if the digging equipment
somehow survived that furnace, humans would not. Crawling or falling
through the hole you've made, you'd be roasted alive in a matter of minutes.

But what if you got yourself a body suit that's resistant to this extreme
heat? Well, then there's pressure that will kill you. At the Earth's
surface, we have an atmosphere that's about 10km thick. In the hole, you'd
have thousands more kilometres of atmosphere pressing down on you. Every 10
metres deeper you proceed will add one more atmosphere of pressure. At the
absolute centre of the planet, you'd be feeling over 1 quadrillion times as
much pressure as at the surface. Subjected to that kind of pressure, the
air itself would become a fluid of sorts, and so would you. Let's just say,
you'd be an integral part of that molten iron.

Then again, despite its extreme heat, the inner core is not liquid. That's
because the intense pressure solidifies the molten iron. So if you were
actually able to crawl all the way there, I am unable to speculate on what
kind of state you'd be in, in that ball of molten iron. Apart, that is,
from dead. No speculation there.

But you'd also be weightless. Because right at its centre, the Earth's mass
will exert equal force on you in every direction. Probably a pleasant
feeling. Too bad your roasted, compressed, molten and very dead self won't
feel a thing.

--
My book with Joy Ma: "The Deoliwallahs"
Twitter: @DeathEndsFun