Mar 19 2024

One more of those age-giveaways - you know, like postage stamps or music
cassettes or dialing 180 - is the way you think of Pluto. If you know it as
the outermost, or ninth, planet in our solar system, you're like me. That's
how we grew up thinking of it. But as you may know, it has been stripped of
that exalted status. It's now considered a minor planet, just another one
among millions of rocks that go around the Sun.

But there are astronomers who believe the evidence suggests there exists a
ninth planet out there, even if it isn't Pluto. And so they search.
Recently, one team found a way to considerably narrow that search. So maybe
we'll soon find an authentic ninth planet.

Take a look at my column for March 8, Searching for an invisible Ninth,
https://www.livemint.com/opinion/columns/searching-for-an-invisible-ninth-11709883326510.html

And tell me if you know what would happen if you dialed 180 (well, in India
at any rate).

cheers,
dilip

---

Searching for an invisible Ninth

Some things in our lives are givens. We grow up with them firmly embedded
in our brains and consciousness, not questioned to any degree. The shapes
of our continents is one of those. The way night follows day follows night,
without end, another. Green leaves on trees, screws that are tightened
clockwise, the miaow of a cat: still more.

One more in that vein? Our solar system had nine planets, with even this
excellent mnemonic to remind us of their names: My Very Educated Mother
Just Showed Us Nine Planets. All in orbits around the Sun, that's Mercury,
Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto.

Yes, Pluto. Remember that one? We of a certain vintage were taught that our
solar system's ninth and outermost planet was Pluto. That number and that
name, as also the names of the other planets, were like fundamental truths
of life. Which is why it came as a definite shock to us of a certain
vintage when Pluto was "reclassifed" in 2006 - as a "dwarf planet". It
still goes around the Sun, but it no longer qualified as a full-fledged
planet, like the other eight.

The story here goes back to what led to the discovery of Pluto in the first
place - and in fact, all the way back to how Uranus and Neptune were
discovered.

Leaving aside our Earth, the first five planets outwards from the Sun - out
till Saturn, that is - have long been known to humans, and known to be
distinct from stars. They were discovered in prehistoric times, millennia
before telescopes came along. That is itself a tribute to the observational
skills of our ancestors, as also to the glorious night skies they were
lucky enough to live under, unlike our light-polluted modern times.

While Uranus is difficult to see with the naked eye, it had indeed been
observed in ancient times. Only, the ancients thought of it as just another
star. It was in 1781 that it was finally identified as a planet, using a
telescope.

Neptune, though, is not visible at all to the naked eye. How, then, was it
discovered? Now that's the story that leads us to Pluto and, well, beyond.

After Uranus was discovered, the French astronomer Alexis Bouvard compiled
astronomical tables about its orbit and those of Jupiter and Saturn. His
data for the two earlier-known planets nicely matched his observations. But
he noted that with Uranus, there were serious discrepancies. Its orbit
would change unexpectedly, not following the path his table predicted.
Bouvard hypothesized that there must be another planet whose gravity was
responsible for these irregularities. He recorded his observations, but was
unable to find such a planet. After he died in 1843, other astronomers used
his data about these perturbations to predict the position of an eighth
planet. In 1846, Johann Gottfried Galle pointed a telescope at that
position and found an object very close to it. Galle knew exactly what he
was looking at: a "new" planet, the one we now know as Neptune. As with
Uranus, astronomers realized it had been seen before, though through
telescopes. Galileo, for example, recorded seeing it in 1612. Though of
course, nobody realized it was a planet till Galle did.

The point here is that Neptune was the first planet in the Solar System
that wasn't identified as one by direct observation. Instead, it was found
using what we knew about another planet, and mathematical techniques to
interpret those observations. That's already, it seems to me, a triumph of
science. But there was more to come.

Through the rest of the 19th Century, astronomers came to believe that
Neptune's presence did not fully explain the disturbances in the orbit of
Uranus. In 1903, Percival Lowell published a book laying out the case for
yet another planet, the ninth. It had to be beyond the orbit of Neptune,
and large enough to influence the behaviour of Uranus. The early years of
the 20th Century saw an intense search for what Lowell called "Planet X".
In 1930, Clyde Tombaugh found an object that seemed to fit the requirements
Lowell laid out.

That was Pluto. For about the next 70 years, students like me learned about
the Solar System with Pluto as its ninth, and farthest-flung, planet.

But it was always an outlier, and not just for being far-flung. In
particular, it is much smaller than the mathematical calculations
predicted. In fact, it is less than a fifth the size of our Moon. Thus, and
again, its presence doesn't fully explain what Uranus is up to.

This is what led to its 2006 "reclassification". That year, the
International Astronomical Union officially defined planets as celestial
bodies with three characteristics. One of those is that such an object
should have "cleared" its neighborhood - meaning that it is so
gravitationally dominant that there are no similar sized objects nearby.
Far from doing such clearing, Pluto actually weighs less than a tenth of
the combined mass of the other objects in or near its orbit. Thus it can't
be a planet. While its reclassification has been contested, the consensus
today seems to be that Pluto is just one of a collection of similar-sized
objects in what's known as the Kuiper Belt.

So yes, we're a Solar System with only eight planets. Or eight known
planets. For we still have to account for the eccentric orbit of Uranus, as
well of other Kupier Belt objects. That means that the search for a ninth
planet continues. One team of astronomers used a telescope in Hawaii to
examine areas of the sky where calculations had shown Planet Nine might
turn up ("A Pan-STARRS1 Search for Planet Nine",
https://arxiv.org/pdf/2401.17977.pdf, 1 February 2024). As they write:
"Planet Nine [P9] is now seen to be capable of accounting for a range of
additional otherwise unexplained phenomena in the solar system."

They didn't find the planet, but they did rule out about 78% of the
possible locations. Intriguingly, they also reported some "predictions for
P9 parameters". If it exists, it will likely be about 6.6 times as massive
as the Earth; it is in an elliptical orbit whose maximum diameter is about
500 AU; and it is currently about 550 AU (astronomical unit: the distance
from the Earth to the Sun) from us.

Compare to Neptune, the eighth and most remote known planet, whose distance
from us varies between 18 and 30 AU. Then give some thought to the idea of
predicting the presence of, even the possible location of, these otherwise
unknown planets.

Mathematics. All over again, it's mathematics.

--
My book with Joy Ma: "The Deoliwallahs"
Twitter: @DeathEndsFun