Mar 19 2024

... and with this dispatch, I have finally caught up with my backlog. Which
is apposite, you might say, because part of this column is about catching
up with backlogs.

Much bigger backlogs than mine, though.

Actually this essay was prompted by a few unconnected bits of news, each of
which involved numbers in some way. (About the only thing that linked
them.) And so I thought, why not tease out those mentions of numbers a
little, see where that leads us? To an interesting place, I think - but let
me know what you think.

My March 15 Mint column: Things a few calculations can tell us,
https://www.livemint.com/opinion/columns/the-things-a-few-calculations-tell-us-11710405723046.html

always,
dilip

PS: And now that I have caught up, please watch for something special in my
next dispatch.

---

The things a few calculations tell us

Sometimes it takes the State Bank of India. Sometimes the courts. Sometimes
a bridge. I'm grateful to all of them, because they offer me numbers to
play with.

Let's take the bridge, to start.

This is the GK Gokhale bridge in the northern Mumbai suburb of Andheri - a
vital east-west connector across the railway tracks. In 2022, recognizing
that it was old and dilapidated, the Municipal Corporation demolished it
and promised to build a new bridge.

The months since have been a nightmare for commuters in the area. Without
that bridge, getting across the railway has meant a long detour. Naturally
everyone has been waiting eagerly for the new bridge to be completed. Which
it was, a few weeks ago. Or really, as these things go these days, one part
of it was completed and "inaugurated" for public use. And that's when we
found something remarkable about this new bridge.

Connecting to the old bridge was a ramp from what's known as the Barfiwala
flyover. Traffic that needed to go to where this flyover led would simply
shift onto the ramp. With the new bridge, though, there's a problem
stemming from a particular design decision: the new bridge is about 2m
higher than the old bridge. Thus the Barfiwala flyover does not connect to
the new roadway. As things stand, as I write this, the BMC is searching for
a remedy.

What led to this and why are good questions that have their answers. But
I'm interested here in the BMC's explanation for this disconnect
("Clarification regarding comments/reels appeared in social media and
newspapers", BMC notification No ChE/16082/Bridges of 28.2.2024).

The problem, says the BMC, is that a connector between the Barfiwala
flyover and the new Gokhale bridge would need to have a "vertical gradient"
of 7.25%. This, claims the BMC, would cause engine noise and trouble,
discomfort to passengers, and more.

What is a 7.25% gradient? It means that for every 100m length that such a
road slopes upwards, it ascends 7.25m. This is steep, but not excessively
so, not unknown. In Mumbai's Bandra, for example, you'll find Zig Zag Road.
Over its 100 metres, it ascends about 13m to Pali Hill, meaning its
gradient is 13%. On the other side of the same hill, a 200m stretch of road
to the sea sees a descent of 15m: a 7.5% gradient. Admittedly neither road
is like a major flyover, but both stretches see plenty of traffic in both
directions without any particular engine trouble or passenger discomfort.
Besides, the possible Gokhale-Barfiwala connector will be, as best as I can
tell from maps, about 20m long. And that's if another, less sloped solution
isn't found. So is the BMC seriously warning us about passenger discomfort
and the like, over a stretch that's just 20m long?

Then there's the State Bank of India. When the Supreme Court ruled
electoral bonds unconstitutional in mid-February, the judges also asked SBI
- the sole vendor of these bonds - to submit details of all bonds so far
sold by 6 March. Two days before that deadline, SBI told the Court that
this was a near-impossible task, and asked for an extension until 30 June.
Just incidentally, of course, 30 June is after the upcoming Lok Sabha
elections.

What was SBI's reasoning underlying its demand for a delay? There were some
22,500 bonds sold, they claimed, and there was something about how the
records of these bond purchases were stored in two different places. The
actual details are not as important as this apparently daunting number:
there are effectively 45,000 records to consider, collect, collate,
correlate and whatever else is required to be done to submit the
information to the Court. This gargantuan effort, said SBI, would take till
30 June.

Numbers again. Just as I was mulling them over, just as I was about to make
some tentative calculations to gauge how weighty this task really is, I got
a message from my friend Shailesh Gandhi, the former Central Information
Commissioner. For he had just attempted the same calculation.

Here's how we thought about it:

Again, SBI claims there are about 45,000 transactions. Let's assume all
these records have to be copied from paper onto a computer. A competent
data-entry operator, let's also assume, would take three minutes over each
transaction. That means she should be able to enter 120 transactions in a
six-hour day; no point pushing her to work longer on this stultifying job.
This means we will need 375 person-days to finish all 45,000 entries.

Not that weighty, really. Put 30 SBI employees on the job and they will be
done on day 13. If they had got going on the day of the original Supreme
Court ruling, February 15, the job would have been complete by the end of
February. That would have left a clear week more to package all the data
elegantly and, for good measure, even tie a virtual ribbon around it.

Of course, when the Supreme Court refused to allow an extension till 30
June, SBI submitted the records within two days. Clearly they were far more
diligent than our back-of-the-envelope calculations above suggest.

Sticking with Shailesh Gandhi: another of his calculations involves case
backlogs in our courts. The numbers seem staggering: the backlog across all
our courts amounts to some 50 million cases - a clear world record. What is
the hope that we will ever catch up?

Gandhi points out that this enormous backlog "has often been ascribed to
the fact that there are not [an] adequate number of judges." The Supreme
Court suggests that we must have 50 judges per million population, which
means about 70,000 altogether. Compare to a currently-sanctioned strength
of 23,000, though across our courts about 21% of those positions are
vacant. Do we need to triple or quadruple the number of judges we have, to
address the backlog?

This prompted Gandhi to "try and figure out how many judges would be
required to ensure that the pendency would reduce." He did this by
analysing publicly-available data for the years 2006-17 on the Supreme
Court website (https://main.sci.gov.in/publication). That told him that
that "the average increase in pendency was less than 3% per year."

Think of that. If we can simply fill the 21% vacancies, the pendency will
automatically stop increasing. (Gandhi's calculations are a little, but
only a little, more intricate.) In fact, we will start eating into that 50
million backlog.

The things a few calculations can tell us.

--
My book from Penguin-Random House: Roadwalker: A Few Miles on the Bharat
Jodo Yatra