>"Only seven countries and three territories last year met World Health
Organization pollution guidelines for fine particulate matter, the most
risky form <https://www.epa.gov/pm-pollution/particulate-matter-pm-basics> of
pollution to human health."

>"A report <https://www.iqair.com/newsroom/waqr-2023-pr> published Tuesday
by the Swiss company IQAir looked at fine particular matter pollution (also
known as PM 2.5) data collected by more than 30,000 ground-level air
quality monitoring stations across 134 countries last year."

>"Long- and short-term exposure to PM 2.5 is associated with heart attacks,
asthma attacks and premature death, the EPA said
<https://www.epa.gov/system/files/documents/2024-02/pm-naaqs-overview.pdf>,
noting that communities of color and populations with lower socioeconomic
statuses were at elevated risk. Air pollution has also been linked
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2024/02/23/alzheimers-brain-air-pollution-study/?itid=lk_inline_manual_10>
 to signs of Alzheimer’s disease found in brain tissue, as well as several
eye-related ailments
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2024/02/03/air-pollution-eyes-glaucoma-damage/?itid=lk_inline_manual_10>,
such as cataracts, glaucoma, conjunctivitis and age-related macular
degeneration."

>"Last month, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency finalized stricter
standards
<https://www.epa.gov/system/files/documents/2024-02/pm-naaqs-overview.pdf>for
fine particulate matter, lowering the annual standard from 12 micrograms
per cubic meter to 9 micrograms, a move it said reflects 'new science on
harms caused by particle pollution.'”

>"According to IQAir report, Bangladesh, Pakistan
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/12/24/pakistan-air-pollution-artificial-rain/?itid=lk_inline_manual_15>
and
India had the highest annual averages for fine particulate matter
pollution, with Bangladesh’s PM 2.5 levels averaging more than 15 times
higher in 2023 than the WHO’s recommended threshold."

>"A 2022 study
<https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanplh/article/PIIS2542-5196(22)00090-0/fulltext>
published
in the Lancet Planetary Health journal estimated that pollution was
responsible for about 9 million premature deaths annually between 2015 and
2019, or 1 in 6 deaths worldwide. More than 90 percent of those deaths
occurred in low- and middle-income countries, it said.

The study also estimated that deaths caused by 'modern pollution risks
factors'— the unintended consequences of industrialization and urbanization
— rose more than 66 percent since 2000."

--------------------------------
By: Kelly Kasulis Cho
Published in: *The Washington Post*
Date: March 20, 2024

Only seven countries and three territories last year met World Health
Organization pollution guidelines for fine particulate matter, the most
risky form <https://www.epa.gov/pm-pollution/particulate-matter-pm-basics> of
pollution to human health.

A report <https://www.iqair.com/newsroom/waqr-2023-pr> published Tuesday by
the Swiss company IQAir looked at fine particular matter pollution (also
known as PM 2.5) data collected by more than 30,000 ground-level air
quality monitoring stations across 134 countries last year.

Of these countries, seven had annual averages within the WHO’s guidelines
of 5 micrograms per cubic meter in 2023: Australia, Estonia, Finland,
Grenada, Iceland, Mauritius and New Zealand. French Polynesia, Bermuda and
Puerto Rico also met the guidelines.

The United States ranked as the 33rd least polluted country, according to
the report, with an average annual PM2.5 concentration of 9.1 micrograms
per cubic meter. Columbus, Ohio, was the most polluted major U.S. city and
Las Vegas was the least.

[...]

“PM 2.5 penetrates every cell of our bodies, from the cells in our skin to
the cells deep in our lung, and even in our brain,” IQAir Global CEO Frank
Hammes said at a recorded news conference
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Szi-SoJxnQ&t=2387s>. “Air pollution is
the greatest environmental threat to human health,” he added.

The new EPA standard is set to be fully implemented in 2032
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2024/02/07/epa-soot-limit-rule/?itid=lk_inline_manual_14>,
and the stricter limit could prevent up to 4,500 premature deaths and
290,000 lost workdays per year, the agency said. Its threshold for PM 2.5
pollution is still higher than the guidelines set by the World Health
Organization.

According to IQAir report, Bangladesh, Pakistan
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/12/24/pakistan-air-pollution-artificial-rain/?itid=lk_inline_manual_15>
and
India had the highest annual averages for fine particulate matter
pollution, with Bangladesh’s PM 2.5 levels averaging more than 15 times
higher in 2023 than the WHO’s recommended threshold. Tajikistan, Burkina
Faso, Iraq, the United Arab Emirates, Nepal, Egypt and the Democratic
Republic of Congo were also among the top 10 most polluted countries last
year.

Large portions of Africa, the Middle East and South America did not appear
to have air quality measurements in an interactive map
<https://www.iqair.com/world-air-quality-report>

on the IQAir website because the data was not available, the company said.

A 2022 study
<https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanplh/article/PIIS2542-5196(22)00090-0/fulltext>
published
in the Lancet Planetary Health journal estimated that pollution was
responsible for about 9 million premature deaths annually between 2015 and
2019, or 1 in 6 deaths worldwide. More than 90 percent of those deaths
occurred in low- and middle-income countries, it said.

The study also estimated that deaths caused by “modern pollution risks
factors” — the unintended consequences of industrialization and
urbanization — rose more than 66 percent since 2000.

Kelly Kasulis Cho is a breaking news reporter and editor at The Washington
Post, based in Seoul. Previously, she spent four years covering North and
South Korea as a freelance foreign correspondent, and she has also worked
at the New York Times and Bloomberg BNA.