>"India’s largest opposition party accused the national authorities on
Thursday of paralyzing its political activities by blocking the party’s
access to its bank accounts, in what it described as a heavy-handed
response to a tax dispute just weeks before a pivotal general election."

>“'We can’t support our workers; we can’t support our candidates,' Rahul
Gandhi, an Indian National Congress leader, said at a news conference in
New Delhi. 'Our leaders can’t fly. Forget flying — they can’t take a train.'

'Our ability to fight elections has been damaged,' he [Gandhi] said."]

>"The Congress party has acknowledged filing the tax returns late, but
argues that the penalty should be in the thousands of dollars rather than
millions."

>“'The idea that India is a democracy is a lie,' Mr. Gandhi said."

>"The country’s top court recently forced the government-owned State Bank
of India to release a list of all those who had made anonymous political
donations through a financing mechanism known as 'electoral bonds,'
removing a veil of secrecy that opposition groups had long argued was
helping those in power.

Mr. Modi’s party received the highest amount of the funds, more than 10
times that going to the Indian National Congress."
---------------
By: Sameer Yasir -- Reporting from New Delhi
Published in: *The New York Times*
Date: March 21, 2024
Just weeks before pivotal elections, the authorities have blocked access to
several of the Indian National Congress’s main bank accounts, the party
said.

India’s largest opposition party accused the national authorities on
Thursday of paralyzing its political activities by blocking the party’s
access to its bank accounts, in what it described as a heavy-handed
response to a tax dispute just weeks before a pivotal general election.

Officials with the party, the Indian National Congress, said that eight of
its 11 main accounts at four banks had been frozen, and that there was no
clear indication of when the party would regain access to the money.

“We can’t support our workers; we can’t support our candidates,” Rahul
Gandhi, an Indian National Congress leader, said at a news conference in
New Delhi. “Our leaders can’t fly. Forget flying — they can’t take a train.”

“Our ability to fight elections has been damaged,” he said.

Campaigning is heating up for a six-week-long election that starts on April
19 and will determine the next prime minister for the world’s most populous
democracy. To run election campaigns from the Himalayan mountains to
India’s southern shores, political groups spend billions of dollars
<https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/15/world/asia/india-election-donations.html>
 in what is seen as one of the world’s most expensive elections.

Under Indian law, political groups are exempted from paying income taxes on
their funding from individuals and corporations, but must declare their
income to the tax authorities each year. The current dispute relates to how
heavily the Indian National Congress should be penalized for past
irregularities.

Last month, the country’s Income Tax Department, which is controlled by
Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government, froze the Congress party’s
accounts on accusations that it had been 45 days late in filing tax returns
on its cash contributions for the 2017-18 financial year. The department
also took from the party’s bank accounts
<https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/i-t-recovers-50-cr-from-cong-as-hc-denies-itat-tax-demand-stay/articleshow/108473414.cms?from=mdr>
 $2 million of the $16 million that it said was owed in penalties.

The Congress party has acknowledged filing the tax returns late, but argues
that the penalty should be in the thousands of dollars rather than millions.

Last week, a Delhi high court declined to interfere with the tax
authorities’ order, saying that it was unable to stop the authorities from
freezing the party’s accounts.

In recent years, opposition groups have accused Mr. Modi’s governing
Bharatiya Janata Party of establishing a near monopoly over political
funding. They accuse Mr. Modi of using the powers of his office to enrich
his party and dry up funding for competitors.

“The idea that India is a democracy is a lie,” Mr. Gandhi said.

Mr. Modi’s officials rejected those claims, describing them as a desperate
attempt by a political opposition that is struggling in an election
campaign that is likely to return the B.J.P. to power.

Ravi Shankar Prasad, a leader from the governing party, said the tax
exemption for any political group remained valid only if the group declared
any contributions to the national tax authorities on time.

“In utter desperation of imminent defeat, the Congress party at the highest
level sought to create an alibi today,” Mr. Prasad said on Thursday.

The issue of political financing has exploded in India in recent weeks. The
country’s top court recently forced the government-owned State Bank of
India to release a list of all those who had made anonymous political
donations through a financing mechanism known as “electoral bonds,”
removing a veil of secrecy that opposition groups had long argued was
helping those in power.

Mr. Modi’s party received the highest amount of the funds, more than 10
times that going to the Indian National Congress.
Sameer Yasir covers news from India and other countries in the region. He
is based in New Delhi