https://www.heraldgoa.in/Edit/By-invitation/The-Emperor%E2%80%99s-New-Tree/220134

Adding insult to injury in the ongoing massacre of green cover across
the State, the giant old banyan tree uprooted at midnight from St.
Inez for an alleged “Smart Road project” has been conspicuously
relocated to the new football grounds being prepared at Campal, where
the renowned horticulturist and landscape designer Daniel D’Souza has
volunteered to try and keep it alive. It’s a gallant effort – and the
responsible officials and heartfelt “tree doctor” deserve credit for
trying – but the entire exercise does seem like mere window dressing,
to distract from the veritable holocaust of trees that is being
carried out on every other scrap of land in Goa that can be converted,
concretized and sold off in one of the most unscrupulous real estate
marketplaces in the world.

In this election year, with heavy campaigning from both “national
parties” in the State, with their interchangeable – and indeed
constantly interchanging – cast of usual suspects who have together
conspired to wreck Goa, there is a glaring disconnect from the
grandiose rhetoric about billions spent on “development works” and the
disgracefully incompetent misgovernance characterizing everyday
reality in India’s smallest state. Instead of accountability, there is
only defiance and bullying. Even the high court’s well-meaning
interventions are being stalled or sabotaged. This level of impunity
and arrogance is unprecedented in Indian democracy, as though
challenging voters to dare acknowledge the open assault on their
rights and quality of life. In the famous Hans Christian Andersen
folktale, an innocent child exposed the emperor’s literally “naked”
corruption. What will lift our contemporary silences?

Earlier this week, Claude Alvares wrote with great clarity on social
media that “for the past ten years now, Goa has been almost in a
permanent state of war. There have been regular invading armies and
conquests, mostly originating out of Delhi, or Mumbai, or even Haryana
and other places, each biting off slices of Goan villages, and the Goa
government has in every conceivable case, gone all out to support
them. The political leaders who run this government only come to the
villagers when they want their votes.” He said to “look at these
simple facts about the new brewery and distillery approved for
erection at Amdai, on the banks of the Uguem river - a depressing
repeat of hundreds of similar invasions being fought at Cavelossim,
Carmona, Tiracol”

Alvares says “the land is zoned as orchard in the regional plan,
because it has magnificent spread of coconut and cashew trees. The new
owners claim in a media interview that the Tree Act being amended to
exclude coconut trees, they do not need permission to mass-kill the
trees on the plots [and] according to the project report, there is
“plentiful water” to produce 5 lakh hectolitres of beer. There is
simply no acknowledgement that the water belongs to - and has been
hitherto sustainably enjoyed by - the people living in the area. The
water, in fact, belongs to them since they have been using it for
decades.” Nonetheless, slews of clearances were promptly issued: “When
ordinary Goans approach the same bodies for similar permissions or
approvals, they are made to run around coconut trees. Now even that
may not be possible, because at Amdai, more than 1,000 coconut trees
will be cut to produce liquor and beer for tourists and other
elements, as if they haven't already drunk themselves senseless.”

What kind of “development” is this? How can any responsible government
keep on subverting the laws to transform the forests and orchards of
the state into concrete jungles, in clear contravention of Supreme
Court guidelines that trees can only be felled “as a last resort”. In
2020, Chief Justice Bobde insisted even “the value of the oxygen that
a tree gives in its lifetime must be factored in.” The next year, the
special committee he appointed said “the monetary value of a project,
for which hundreds of trees are felled, is sometimes far less than the
economic and environmental worth of the felled trees.” Heritage trees
with a lifespan of more than 100 years – of which countless numbers
are being cut in Goa – should each be valued as more than one crore,
because each is worth around 75,000 rupees for every year of its
existence: “the first endeavour should be to relocate them, making use
of modern technology, and if they must be felled; five saplings in
lieu of one tree is not good enough since a 100-year-old tree cannot
be equated with a few fresh saplings”

“I miss the trees that we have lost in Panjim so much,” says Daniel
D’Souza, the passionate plant man who is focused on reviving the
cruelly hacked St. Inez banyan in its new location. “The trees and I
grew up together, and it hurts me a lot when they suffer. What is
happening now is the result of constant asphalting, and the
destruction of the city’s old drainage systems. The roots are becoming
submerged. All these people with high qualifications have made a mess
of the city, and it is the trees which are suffering the most.”

Back in 2021, in the aftermath of Cyclone Tauktae, D’Souza managed to
save an uprooted copperpod tree on 18th June Road, but last year,
after another storm, and despite his heartfelt entreaties, the city
authorities callously cut apart and disposed of a fallen rain tree,
and nearby tamarind. This time, given yet another opportunity, the
53-year-old cancer survivor says he will try to ensure the St. Inez
banyan continues to live: “I have chlorophyll in my veins, and I am
doing it for Mother Nature. It’s not just about us. What about the
birds? Don’t they have rights? Where are they going to rest? And what
about the butterflies and moths? Are we not responsible for them? How
about the bats – there are thousands roosting in each old tree like
this – are we not accountable to them? Did we learn nothing from the
pandemic, when we had money, but no food to eat? There is still hope
for this tree, and I will do everything possible to save it.”