Source:
https://frontline.thehindu.com/politics/goa-politics-bjp-congress-lok-sabha-2024/article68093562.ece
frontline.thehindu.com
<https://frontline.thehindu.com/politics/goa-politics-bjp-congress-lok-sabha-2024/article68093562.ece>
In Goa, a glaring disconnect between people’s concerns and political
narrative
Amey Tirodkar
April 30, 2024

------------------------------

Taxi driver stories during elections are no longer taken seriously. People
call them out as entirely made up. In Goa, however, the taxi driver’s story
is very much a part of the electoral narrative this time.

The story is simple. Goa recently got a second international airport in the
district of North Goa. When the local people opposed the project, the
government assured them that they would get 80 per cent of the jobs that
would be created, including those in the taxi sector. In fact, the BJP
government in the State even said that the airport area would have a quota
for local taxi drivers.

Almost a year and a half after the airport’s inauguration, that promise has
not been kept. Vishwanath Rawool, 36, a taxi driver in North Goa, is
disappointed. He said: “I have never voted any other party in my life. We
have voted for Shripad *bhau *[five-term BJP MP who is contesting this time
too] all these years. But when the time came, the outsiders took the major
share. This is cheating.” Asked if that meant he would not vote for the BJP
this time, Vishwanath said: “We will have to talk to our community [caste]
members and act as per the the decision of the community.”
Unemployment to the fore

According to data from the Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy (CMIE), Goa
has the second highest unemployment rate in the country. Anywhere you go in
Goa, people talk about jobs. “Aamche chedu bekar bashlele asaat maare” (Our
children are sitting unemployed) is the sentence that starts every
political conversation.

On whether this will affect the BJP’s electoral performance, Chief Minister
Pramod Sawant said: “It is compulsory to be registered at the employment
exchange centre for a government job, so all Goan girls and boys register
here. Even after they get a private job or go abroad or study further, they
do not deregister. This is why we see swollen data of unemployment.”

Voting for both constituencies in Goa is on May 7. In North Goa, the battle
is between Shripad Naik of the BJP and Ramakant Khalap of the Congress. In
South Goa, it is Viriato Fernandes of the Congress against Pallavi Dhempe
of the BJP. In 2019, both parties won a seat each. In 2014, the BJP took
both seats, and it is keen on repeating that performance.

North Goa is understood to be a BJP bastion. Shripad Naik was a Minister of
State in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government of 1999-2004 and has been one
since 2014, in both Modi governments. He is contesting from the seat for
the sixth time.

On the possibility of voter fatigue, Naik said: “I have never asked for the
party ticket. Our workers want me to contest. They are happy to see me as
their MP.”

Naik became an MLA in Goa in 1994, when the BJP contested 4 of the 40 seats
in alliance with the Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party (MGP), which was led by
Ramakant Khalap, an advocate. Khalap was Naik’s main supporter then. A
veteran Goan politician, Khalap left the MGP and joined the Congress 25
years ago. In 1999, Naik defeated Khalap to become an MP for the first
time. Now, 30 years later, Khalap, who was out of power and active politics
for 20 years, returns to face Naik yet again.

Avit Bagle, chief reporter od the daily *Gomantak*, said: “In a way, this
is fresh start for Ramakant Khalap. Almost a generation has passed since he
ceased to be an active politician. In Shripad Naik’s case, he has been
there for five terms. So, people might think of a change. It is for Khalap
and the Congress to seize the opportunity.”
South Goa poised for exciting battle

In South Goa, the BJP candidate, Pallavi Dhempe, belongs to one of Goa’s
richest families, which was once engaged in mining. Chief Minister Pramod
Sawant sought to downplay her background by stating that she was given the
ticket for her social work. He said: “She has been active in football
clubs, in women’s various programmes. Her husband, Shrinivas, is also
active in Goan social life; he is a supporter of RSS’ many organisations.”

The Congress has fielded Navy veteran Captain Viriato Fernandes, a social
activist who has been raising environmental issues in Goa for over a
decade. He tried his luck in the 2022 Assembly election on the Congress
ticket but lost by just 700 votes. His strength is his image of being a
voice for Goan environment and culture.

Pramod Acharya, editor of Prudent Media, said: “The South Goa fight will be
fierce. The BJP candidate has a lot of resources compared to the Congress,
whose stronghold it traditionally is. The BJP will have to convince voters
that Pallavi can truly represent their issues, while Viriato will have to
use his limited resources smartly and bring every single supporting voter
to the booth.”
Environmental issues

Apart from unemployment and inflation, Goa also faces environmental
challenges. Diversion of the Mhadei river waters has been controversial.
The river comes from the Sahyadri range of Karnataka and is a lifeline of
Goa, but Karnataka has been building barrages on it in Belagavi district
and diverting water through canals. Goa has gone to court. The barrage work
in Karnataka started when the BJP was in power, so Goans are questioning
the BJP government for not having taken steps to stop the work.

Another issue is that of railway line doubling on the Konkan Railway, which
activists are opposed to. They claim that the doubling is being done to
transport coal from Goa, but the Chief Minister said that “some people have
a habit of opposing development”.

*Also Read | ‘Goans have faith in Modi’s guarantee’: Pramod Sawant
<https://frontline.thehindu.com/politics/pramod-sawant-chief-minister-goa-lok-sabha-2024-narendra-modi/article68093559.ece>*

Despite the existence of such issues, the election narrative is focussed on
personal criticism of party leaders. Avertino Miranda, a social activist,
is angry about this. He said: “The lack of commitment in the political
class is driving real issues out of politics. No one is raising serious
issues such as water shortage or environment degradation, not even the
opposition.”

Interestingly, the Church of Goa has issued a statement asking its members
to vote for a candidate with secular credentials. Whether this will have a
reverse polarisation effect among Hindus is to be seen, but all political
parties, including the BJP, have welcomed it. The BJP has gone so far as to
call itself the “most secular party” on the grounds that it has more
Catholic MLAs than the Congress in Goa.