Dears

In  Goanet Digest, Vol 3, Issue 1140: "Roland Francis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in the thread  A Need To Soothe the Mind
whilst responding to some comments made by Miguel Braganza, made the
following brutish comments:

"One more request:
Please stop calling us "dears", a kind of a gay, wimpish,
transvestite-sounding word."

I did try to search and see whether  'Dears'' has any gay connotation
but could not. So apart from the fact that Roland wants to display his
intolerance against gays, what he obviously is intending to do when he
uses 'gay, wimpish, transvestite-sounding' to qualify the noun 'word'
is to insult the person he is referring to. Roland wants to imply that
he is  'gay, wimpish, and transvestite, just as when I use the
adjective 'brutish' to qualify the noun 'comments' I am implying that
it is Roland who is a brute.

I bring this up because I too use the term frequently, and most
particularly in my column in the Herald, Cheers Dears. Just as a
matter of information, salutations such as Dear as in Dear Roland or
in Konkani Mogall Roland, can be termed as phatic communication.[ See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phatic ] - It does not mean that Roland
is Dear or Mogall to anyone except in some very special circumstances.

When addressing  large audiences in letters to newspapers or Internet
mailing-lists, what should the salutation be? Should it be  'Dear
Messieurs and Mesdames' or 'Dear Ladies and Gentlemen'  or 'Dear
Readers? I find these too archaic and stilted.

Personally I like the convention that I use - Dears. Unlike with
Roland,  to me it sounds  pleasant and nformal. And if someone says
that the British or Americans don't use it, well just tell them where
they can get off. And say that we Goans do.

And BTW  Roland, I happen to be married, and if you ever think I'm
wimpish just make sure you never come close to my fists.

Cheers
Augusto

40, Novo Portugal,
Moira, Bardez,
Goa, India
E [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
P 0832-2470336
M 9881126350