Smoking has been banned from all public places in Melbourne for over 6 years
now, including at railway stations. And it was banned in restaurants for way
longer than that. So much so, that when we flew over to London via Frankfurt in
mid 2004, we got sort of nauseated in the transit lounge at Frankfurt where
there were smokers everywhere, some smoking those horrible Gitanes.  Even more
astounding (for us, that is) was that an Indian restaurant we went to in Tower
Hill then, did not have a non-smoking area.

I daresay I was a smoker in my younger days, but gave up "cold turkey" after
burning up close to forty the previous day, some twenty years ago. Fortunately,
there were only three of us, all smokers, who worked in that room at 170 Upper
Richmond Rd, and it was darned hard effort on my part to keep away from the
weed when that number was reduced to two  ...

Today, I cannot stand the faint drift of smoke that sometimes comes through the
air-conditioning ducts, as the smokers puff away on their smoko break outside
the building ... Ah well, that's life.

Gabriel.