Konkani - English mix bhaji

Another serving of Konknni English Mix Bhaji. This time on sad note. Announcing
the death of some Konknni words is something sad but it is true. I have filed a
suit and a language guru or a fanatic may be defending the case. I have no
interest in the results of the case: death of some Konknni words. Deep down, I
know I am somehow responsible for the death of these words. It too may disturb
your conscience.

I never knew a word for vehicles in Konknni. Once I was reading a prayer which
was meant to bless new vehicles. And it read, 'Hea dhanvtereacher tuzo arxirvad
ghal.' (Bless this vehicle). Anything that is running or moving was termed as
'dhanvterem'. All this is fine. Now coming to the use of the words in Konknni
is astonishing. 'Ami plane pollelem. Khoinche train-int tumi Bombay voitat,
Ponnje thavn bus dhor.' The English words like plane, bus, train, motorcycle
have deceptively replaced the local Konknni words.

We hardly hear 'viman’ or ‘agaddi'. Forget there is no “ag” or fire as the
steam engines are replaced long ago. So also the words are replaced God knows
when but almost all understand them in the local language.

The English words probably may be shown as synonyms by the emerging
lexicographers or dictionary writers. The option before us is just use the
Konknni words and taste the pure and original. It does taste amazing. The
problem is very few restaurants serving them who cannot afford to advertise in
big cities. Drive to chat with the villages in the remote areas and you will
savor something's for life.

    Lapitt