Bhakti Wins Caissa Masters Chess in Hungary

Asian Under 18 Girls Chess Champion and Goa Carbon Ltd Brand Ambassador Bhakti Kulkarni (7.5 points) added another feather in her cap by winning the First Prize in Caissa Masters Chess Tournament in Kecskemet, Hungary on January 30, 2011. Incidently Caissa is a Goddess of Chess as per Greek Mythology.

Bhakti however missed her 10 game Woman Grandmaster (WGM) norm as she was held to a draw by International Master (IM) Erdelyi Tamas (5.5) in the tenth and final round. Bhakti outdistanced the field by a clear two points margin to bag the first prize. According to International norm procedure, the results have been taken by the Hungarian Chess Federation who will consider allotting Bhakti "a nine game norm" within a week. In that case Bhakti will have her second norm of WGM.

Bhakti was ecstatic after winning the tournament. She said, "Previously I had trouble winning against lower rated players and when I received this invitation, I was reluctant to play." But Bhakti was encouraged by her parents to go for it. Jubilant Pradip Kulkarni mentioned "I wanted her to have good practice and this was a tournament where she was the top seed. I am happy that she played like a champion."

Bhakti will have a well earned rest until February 5, when she sits down to play in the famous First Saturday International Chess Tournament. "I am happy that I will get a chance where the World Champion Polgar sisters have played,” Bhakti said from Kecskemet.

In the Caissa Masters, Bhakti’s (7.5 points) closest rivals were IM Erdelyi and IM Tibor Farkas (both 5.5 points). “I liked my game against Erdelyi Tamas where the fight raged till the end before I won,” remarked the Champion from Goa who has played 28 tough Rounds in 23 days without rest. IM Erdelyi Tamas, who has Doctorate in Law was all praise for Bhakti. ”She is a remarkable young lady and will go places,” said Dr.Erdelyi after the tournament was over.

Bhakti’s coach Dronacharya Raghunandan Gokhale wants her to use the five day gap to take complete rest. He said that he considers winning the Men’s tournament a bigger achievement than a norm. ”Bhakti is tired after playing average 6 hours per day at a very high level for more than three weeks without a rest day. She should recover her strength before starting her round in Budapest on February 5,” cautioned the ace trainer.

The Goa Chess Association office bearers were overjoyed with the news of Bhakti's victory. President Ashesh Keni, Secretary Arvind Mhamal and Treasurer Kishor Bandekar congratulated Bhakti on her achievement.

Source: BK

Goanet Sports