Let me reiterate that my interest in this discussion is only to provide
accurate medical scientific information, and in refuting the bogus claims made
in the post appended below that a relic preserved in Italy has been confirmed
by modern science to be of miraculous origin. I have no interest in denying the
genuine faith (devoid of any need for confirmation by science) of people in
this forum in the parochial supernatural beliefs of their own religion. So what
I am writing below is meant only for people who are interested in knowing why
the rambling claims made in the post appended below, laced with personal
insults against me, and in the original study by the anatomist O. Linoli, do
not pass scientific muster.

I have already explained the shortcomings of the original study by Linoli in an
earlier post more than 2 years ago on Goanet. Here I would like to explain them
in greater detail. I have in my possession the original paper by Linoli
published in an obscure Italian publication. Having read its translation, and
being in possession of a professional background in medical science and
research, I can conclude the following:

1. The study fails to show that the material examined is fresh tissue and
blood, as has been claimed in the post below and elsewhere.

a) The tissue is highly degraded, contaminated with fungal colonies and has
poor structural integrity.

b) The so-called blood does not show any intact cells or biological structures
in it. The material failed to pass two important chemical tests for blood. It
contains more than 10 times the normal concentration of calcium in it (114.29
mg% compared to the normal range of 9 - 11 mg%). It has highly reduced
concentrations of chloride, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium and sodium,
compared to normal blood. It is contaminated with fragments of vegetable
material.

2. The study fails to perform any conclusive objective tests to determine
whether the tissue and blood are of human origin. A simple microscopic
examination and ABO blood typing is woefully inadequate to conclude that the
material examined is of human origin.

3. The study does not do any test to determine that the relics are from the 8th
century.

4. The study does not do any test to determine that they indeed miraculously
emerged from inanimate material.

5. The study does not do any test to determine that they belonged to the right
person.

6. The claim that the blood was of type AB contradicts the belief that its
owner had only a single set of 22 autosomes (non-sex chromosomes) derived from
his mother. This is because only a person with 2 sets of autosomes, each set
derived from the mother and father, can have type AB blood. Normal human beings
have two sets of paired chromosomes. The genes (alleles) for blood group
antigens A and B are located on the 9th chromosome. For type AB blood, one
allele (for A or B) has to come from a 9th chromosome from the mother and the
other allele (B or A) has to come from the other 9th chromosome in the pair
from the father. A person with type AB blood indicates one of three
possibilities, as far as his parents' blood types are concerned. The parents
had type A and type B blood, type AB and type A blood, or type AB and type B
blood.

7. Regarding the claim of type AB blood in the Shroud of Turin, the shroud
itself has been scientifically determined to be a 14th century artifact. The
purported blood spots on it have been shown to be ochre and vermilion pigments.
Blood typing could not be confirmed by independent scientific investigation.
The initial blood typing was conducted on shroud fibers stuck to a piece of
tape handled by the investigators.

Those who have a medical or scientific background, and would like to read the
original paper of Linoli in Italian, are welcome to request a copy of it from
me. They can get it translated and examine the photomicrographs and the results
described in it with their own eyes.

Cheers,

Santosh