Striking a chord: classical Western could find space in Goa

--------------
BrieFNcounters
--------------

By Frederick Noronha

PANAJI, Oct 10: Nigel Dixon must be a bold man. He took up the challenge
of building a strings orchestra for India's tiniest state, and is
confident that it will do well.

Born in Lincoln, England, Dixon's first professional appointment after
graduating was as a professional singer in St George's Chapel in the famed
Windsor Castle in 1971.

As a solo artist he has performed in many of the leading concert venues of
the world, including the Royal Festival Hall, London, the Concertgebouw,
Amsterdam, the Musikverein, Vienna, Alice Tully Hall, New York, Teatro
Real, Madrid and the Sydney Opera House.

He made several recordings and toured extensively with the British Council.
But then, as he put it, he "fell in love with India" on his first visit in
1978.

Later, in 1997, together with his Goan wife, Carole, he made Goa his
home. Both currently live at Pilerne, Bardez. A choral trainer, the
Director and Conductor explains what he sees as the scope for the
2002-launched Goa State Orchestra based at the Kala Academy.

Since its launch, how would you see the trajectory of the Goa State Strings
Orchestra?

Since our first concert on August 13, the trajectory has been very much
upwards.

Any pleasant surprises, or unexpected problem areas you discovered?

People have been very encouraging, both here and abroad; we seem to have
struck a chord and it shows that there is always a market even for classical
music if it is done well.

The main problem is keeping up the morale of the players.

They have to be constantly reassured that the orchestra is going places and
that any past experiences that they may have had have no relevance to this
project. We are, after all, attempting to alter the mindset, not only of the
players, but the whole of the musical scene here in Goa.

>From here where? What are the future plans?

Thanks to the first concert, we already have definite bookings ahead,
including a debut performance in Mumbai on December 15.  We hope that more
will follow similarly after October 12, particularly as a result of interest
from outside Goa about this event.

Future plans are to perform in special venues like heritage sites; they are
ideal venues for an orchestra. Churches, for instance, lend themselves to
classical music and also enable the orchestra to perform to a wider audience
outside the state capital.

We are a bit surprised that the Tourism Department, despite overtures from
ourselves, have failed to see the potential of the orchestra, particularly
in their drive to promote heritage tourism and the type of tourist who
appreciates this type of thing.

For instance, they could help the orchestra in its publicity drive and could
help fund its players. It is a significant fact that a sizeable percentage
of the European expat community here attend our concerts, are offering their
support and they bring their friends who holiday with them from abroad also.

Incidentally, the same applies to NRI Goans who visit Goa from time to time
and are keen supporters of Goa's orchestra.

What's needed to take the GSSO on a higher trajectory?

Quite simply, money! Even though the Kala are doing their best, the Member
Secretary and Chairman have been very helpful, and we have no complaints.

But as a government organisation, their hands are tied somewhat when it
comes to funding; also it takes time to get things done.

The support group of the GSSO, 'Friends of the Orchestra', has been formed
with the help of well-wishers and enthusiasts. What we need is whatever help
people can covenant to give us, but on a regular basis, either annually or
monthly, so that we can budget to pay the players and other expenses.

For instance, we need our own Double Bass as all other players have their
own instruments and can practise at home. Though we have use of a Double
Bass at the Kala, the player is expected to to come into the Kala every time
he wishes to practise!

Also we are hoping that Corporate sponsors -- to whom we are currently
making presentations -- will spot the opportunity of tying in with the
orchestra. The right kind of company would benefit from this exposure and
would also be able to give the orchestra much needed publicity, especially
on the radio which is an ideal medium for us. This happens in Europe and it
works there; so why not here!

What has been the response been at the first concert?

The response has been superb and people have been coming forward to help in
any way they can. Sponsorship is coming in slowly, people are giving of
their time and talents also and are very warm towards the whole concept.

It is their response that has given us the strength to fight to establish
the GSSO, even when we have the odd minor setback.

Briefly, could you give us some background on the GSSO?

Initially, promises (for support) were made but never materialised. Having
then started, we could not let the players down. Also it was painfully
obvious that Goa needed a properly run orchestra to give younger classical
musicians a platform for their talents.

We were lucky that the Kala were standing in the wings to help us with the
much delayed kick start.  Coming from a classical musical background in
Europe, I had opportunity and I want to give talented musicians here the
opportunity also.

Was the first performance at the Kala one that caused you'll nervousness and
tension?

It was very hard work and any tension was due to lack of time. But there was
never any doubt in my mind.

Has the media been responsive enough to the idea, in times when popular
tastes (and not classical) rule?

The press has been fantastic. The radio, a little slower on the uptake,
perhaps because they have the idea that only pop music matters. There is a
place for everything; but Goa is different.  It has a Western classical
music tradition which we feel the radio should take advantage of; it would
do them a power of good.

What are your long-term goals?

Concerts in special venues here in Goa and throughout India, and maybe, one
day, abroad, when we feel ready enough. Eventually a CD recording. I would
also like to see the players paid properly so that they regard the Orchestra
as a career and a proper job. This is what we are gearing all our efforts
towards.

In terms of Western classical music getting a boost in Goa, what
specifically would you like to see happening?

Much more exposure and publicity and proper funding. Funding for the Arts
and artists is abysmal. (ENDS)
--
Frederick Noronha * Freelance Journalist * Goa * India 832.409490 / 409783
GOAPIX in.photos.yahoo.com/fredericknoronha * GOANEWS www.goacom.com/news/