--- ô Great Ton wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       "Robin  Houston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> On the subject of new golf, I wonder if you golfers all know about
>> http://codegolf.com?
>>
>> The rules are not quite the same as traditional Perl golf: the most
>> important difference is that the whole of the shebang line counts
>> towards the size, which effectively penalises the use of switches
>> by seven strokes ("#!perl" + the newline) and makes the }{ business
>> less useful.
>
> That's the major issue stopping me.
> A 7 stroke penalty to use options is just too much.

Agreed.

However, the biggest problem with this site is that:

 Challenges are always open

This regrettable rule ruins the game of golf because:

 1) It robs you of the joy of the post mortem: the joy of learning new
    Perl tricks, the joy of discovering what the heck ô Great Ton was
    up to, and perhaps the greatest joy of all, the joy of teasing
    `/anick about making a blunderific Mr Magoo ... again.

 2) It imposes no limit on how much time you spend on a challenge.
    Though perhaps not a problem for well-adjusted folks, I fear an
    obsessive personality may spend far more time than they can afford
    on a challenge, resulting in chronic distress in their personal life.
    With the traditional one week tournament, at least you are strictly
    limited in how much time you waste.

Cheers,
/-\