On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 04:26:05PM +0100, Jasper wrote:
> 2009/6/24 Daniel Tiefnig <dan...@gmx.at>:
> >
> >  perl -00 -ne'/.{65535}/||print'
> >

> of course becomes
>
> perl -00 -pe'$_ x=!/.{65535}/'

Did you notice that this (x=!) is a secret operator of the same family
as the "screwdriver operators" discovered by Dmitry Karasik and showed
some time ago (November 2007) on fwp.

Actually, Dmitry only showed three of them:

> This bunch, I think, can be appropriately named "screwdriver operators":
>
>    -=! and -=!!        - flathead
>    +=! and +=!!        - phillips
>    *=! and *=!!        - torx

When preparing my talk on the Perl secret operators for the last French
Perl Workshop (and hopelessly looking for nice pictures of screwdrivers),
I realized that, in real life, there are several types or cruciform
(or cross-head) screwdrivers. It had to be the same in Perl!

Ladies and gentlemen, it is my pleasure to introduce you to the fourth
screwdriver operator, the Pozidriv (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozidriv):

   x=! and x=!!        - pozidriv

This is a conditional "set to empty string" operator (the string
equivalent of the torx):

  $x x=!! $y  is same as $x = '' unless $y;
  $x x=!  $y       --    $x = '' if $y;

I hope you'll welcome it in your toolbox, like Jasper did.

--
 Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

 The fish most likely to be caught is the one with the biggest mouth.