Exactly!

I was hoping this update (
http://code.google.com/p/datanucleus-appengine/issues/detail?id=7
) would seriously improve bulk inserts. As it seems in practice you
can now do roughly 2-3 times as many inserts in the same ammount of
real and CPU time.

However this is still poor compared to what we're used to with
relational databases on a relatively poor hardware.

At the moment I can do a batch input of up to 300 entities (with a
couple of Integer and String properties) in a 30 second time window
and it costs me around 18 seconds of CPU time.

I have a roughly 1.5MB file which I have to download, parse it's
15.000 lines and insert them in database. I need no transactions in
this case, all entities can be standalone, I don't mine the order in
which they are written, could be parallel aswell as fas as I am
concerned. As it seems now, I have to download this file, slice it in
chunks of 300 lines, store each chunk in a database. Than I need to
put 50 tasks in a queue, each taking 30 seconds to read a chunk from
database, parse it in 300 seperate entities and store as such.

Just database writes to do that would cost me well over 15 CPU
minutes, not to mention the overhead caused by all the task spawning
and so on.

All that for an operation which litteraly takes seconds on my old box
running relational DB, which I use for testing purposes.

It's to complicated and it uses way to many resources to update 1000+
entities - and there are lots of applications that need to update data
from different sources (XML, SQL dumps, ...) on a daily basis.