I don't know if this will help (maybe it's the datanucleus-core dependency with
a scope of runtime), but here's my pom for jdo.  This is a "dependency pom"; it
encapsulates the dependencies for app engine datanucleus jdo.  Put it in a
directory by itself, create a src dir (not sure if that part is necessary) and
then run "mvn install" and it will install the pom in your personal maven repo
and then you can use it as a dependency (i.e., as if it was a fat jar full of
what's listed in it).

Then in your real project you can use it with

        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.objecteffects</groupId>
            <artifactId>dependencies-appengine</artifactId>

            <version>1.2.6</version>

            <type>pom</type>
        </dependency>

Note that the type pom is important.  You can change the groupId, artifactId,
version, etc. to whatever you want (in both poms).

<project
    xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0";
    xsi:schemaLocation="
        http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0
        http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd";>

    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>

    <groupId>org.objecteffects</groupId>

    <artifactId>dependencies-appengine</artifactId>

    <packaging>pom</packaging>

    <name>google app engine jdo dependencies</name>

    <version>1.2.6</version>

    <description>google app engine jdo dependencies module</description>

    <dependencies>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>com.google.appengine.orm</groupId>
            <artifactId>datanucleus-appengine</artifactId>

            <version>${version.google-datanucleus-appengine}</version>
        </dependency>

        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.datanucleus</groupId>
            <artifactId>datanucleus-core</artifactId>

            <version>${version.datanucleus-core}</version>

            <scope>runtime</scope>
        </dependency>

        <dependency>
            <groupId>javax.jdo</groupId>
            <artifactId>jdo2-api</artifactId>

            <version>${version.jdo}</version>
        </dependency>

        <dependency>
            <groupId>javax.transaction</groupId>
            <artifactId>jta</artifactId>
            <version>${version.jta}</version>
        </dependency>

        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.datanucleus</groupId>
            <artifactId>datanucleus-jpa</artifactId>

            <version>${version.datanucleus-jpa}</version>
        </dependency>
    </dependencies>

    <repositories>
        <repository>
            <id>google-maven-repo</id>

<url>http://google-maven-repository.googlecode.com/svn/repository/</url>
        </repository>
    </repositories>

    <properties>
        <version.google-appengine>1.2.6</version.google-appengine>

<version.google-datanucleus-appengine>1.0.3</version.google-datanucleus-appengine>

        <version.datanucleus-core>1.1.6</version.datanucleus-core>
        <version.datanucleus-jpa>1.1.5</version.datanucleus-jpa>

<version.datanucleus-springframework>1.0.0</version.datanucleus-springframework>

        <version.jdo>2.3-eb</version.jdo>
        <version.jta>1.1</version.jta>
    </properties>
</project>