Ok, thanks.  I figured out how to have maven do the upload by using the exec
plugin.  So now I can do a "mvn clean package exec:exec" and it does it all in
one go.  What I'd really like is to be able to run the test jetty on my desktop.

    <build>
        <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
                <artifactId>exec-maven-plugin</artifactId>

                <version>1.1</version>

                <executions>
                    <execution>
                         <phase>deploy</phase>

                        <goals>
                            <goal>exec</goal>
                        </goals>
                    </execution>
                </executions>

                <configuration>

<executable>C:/users/rusty/java/distributions/extracted/appengine-java-sdk-1.2.8/bin/appcfg.cmd</executable>

<workingDirectory>${project.build.directory}/${project.artifactId}-${project.version}</workingDirectory>

                    <arguments>
                        <argument>--email=rusty.wri...@gmail.com</argument>
                        <argument>update</argument>

<argument>${project.build.directory}/${project.artifactId}-${project.version}</argument>
                    </arguments>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>
        </plugins>