Thanks for your answers and introducing me to slf4j. Somehow I
overlooked that cute tool. I'll give it a try. Seems like it could be
very useful for GAE (I'm used to Log4j and don't like JUL, when GAE
has opposite bias).

Meanwhile I solved the problem and learn how to see Log4J messages in
production logs. I removed all references to JUL from my project
(deleted logging.properties and comment it out in appengine-web.xml
file. Now I can see Log4J output, but can't control the verbosity
level. So, JUL seems to be definitely preferable choice for GAE.

Best regards,
Alex