Hi Guillermo,

> If you create a SQL interface on top of any of those, then it is a
> relational database, not a fake but a real relational database. Why would I
> want a relational database? Consistency, for starters. ACID transactions.
> Set operations.

'Consistency' is a broad term. If you are implying 'foreign keys', GAE
does not have any of these. If you mean 'consistency through ACID
transactions', GAE requires entity groups. You are schemaless. Etc.

You can create a SQL layer over the Datastore, but it will not be
efficient or easy to debug. You can still use Hibernate over it, but I
fail to see the purpose in that.

> Working directly with aseembly code and bits may be what you prefer, but if
> history is correct, computer science is about building abstractions. Good
> abstractions. I agree that you can create the wrong tools for the job, but
> that doesn't stop other people to investigate and innovate to create better
> tools (better abstractions).

"Building abstractions" sounds like the type of committee-driven job
that created SOAP and J2EE :D

> > BTW: You dont need to use JDBC directly when working with CloudDB or jiql.
> You can always select Hibernate, JDO or even JPA. The advantage of using an
> extra level of abstraction is that if later the DataStore changes or there
> is a new alternative to the DataStore that is faster (but has a new API) all
> you need to do is to reimplement SQL on top of it and voila: All your
> applications have been ported effortlessly. That's the whole point of using
> abstraction layers.

You can also do that at the JPA level, if I understand correctly.

I can see the value in a language for manipulating the datastore. It's
just that I don't see SQL fulfilling that role.

-- Nacho.