Hi, i have the same problem and lucky i resolved :p , first remove
from WEB-INF/lib all appengine and datanucleus jars that have old
version that App engine SDK library. For example in my App engine
eclipse library i had appengine-api-1.0-sdk-1.4.2.jar and in WEB-INF/
lib directory i had and old version like  appengine-api-1.0-
sdk-1.2.1.jar so delete those files.

So you will fix this message: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
appId not set

I  you continue with problems to see the example. Prube this.

comment from homepage.java add ListPersonalPanel and the wicket tag
from the homepage.html,
Then run the example an add at least one person, and then undo the
comments.

And thats all!
Enjoy !