The public/private/protected/package status of java fields is 100%
irrelevant from a security perspective.  It's just there to help keep your
code clean.  The data is still being passed across the wire in a simple,
easily-decoded protocol that any sniffer can translate.

If you're passing sensitive data across the internet, you *certainly* need
to use SSL at the very least.  Having getters/setters vs public fields is
purely a stylistic concern in this context.

Jeff