btw: I was able to run latest Grails 2.0.M1 on GAE infrastructure.

Request that cause a instance to be loaded take 29 - 31s and sometimes
cause a HardDeadlineExceededError.
After instance is loaded requests are very fast, until they are ceased
down by GAE scheduler.

I have no concern with the long startup time, as with Always On it
should not be a problem.

But that brings me back to one of my original questions:

2) How smart will the scheduler be to startup new instances? Will it
for example take into account the avg load time of previously started
instances?

Cheers,
Marcel