On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 11:45 AM, William Levesque
<billleves...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But is Google's position that all data should be denormalized?

I don't think anyone would say that.  I wrote up my thoughts around
this subject here:

http://blog.similarity.com/post/7541938593/how-to-build-an-online-dating-site-nosql-edition

The upshot is that we've been conditioned by SQL theorists to believe
that there is a "proper" way of modeling data; that the data itself
defines the schema and the magic of the RDBMS behind the curtain makes
it fast.  Unfortunately, this is a lie.  It worked to a point but the
traffic demands of a mass consumer application have vastly outstripped
the RDBMS.  You're back to figuring out how to optimize your schema
for your particular query profile.

So the answer is not "denormalize everything", it's "denormalize the
right things".  And "the right things" will vary from application to
application.  You just have to build up a correct mental model of how
the datastore performs and then design your application accordingly.

Jeff