Hi Andy,

I believe there is a limit on key names of 500 bytes, but I can't seem to
find it in the documentation.

I think the question I have is there a reason you are not using entity
groups?  When using entity groups you can use Key.from_path() to construct
key objects from the ancestor path:
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/datastore/keyclass.html#Key_from_path

This way you don't need to build up longer and longer key names.

-Marzia