Version control becomes essential for maintaining app engine apps.
With Subversion, for instance, you can tag your repository whenever
you deploy, then keep working along the trunk.  If you want to make a
change to the current production app, check out the tag, make the
change and deploy again.  Make sure to merge the change into the trunk
though, either manually or with the Subversion merge tools.

I haven't been doing this very well myself yet, but do run into this
issue a lot, so will be starting to more.  Since App Engine does have
the awesome versioning, it would be handy to also sync up the App
Engine version label with the tag you use in your source control.