I've seen at least one Google team member in this forum saying that's
the way it is and use string if you want it to be None.  That doesn't
prevent us, though, from starting an issue:

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=1117

Star it if you'd like the default behavior to change.
-Bill