It seems odd, I know, but I'm not doing anything malicious. I am
making a laptop recovery service. The client on the laptop must update
the Google App Engine server with the laptop's IP every few minutes to
the App Engine server can keep track of it. But I need to make sure
what user is sending this IP information.

This is where the trouble comes in. The client on the laptop that
tries to give the server the IP needs to authenticate but cannot
without a login page.