Ben,

even when GAE provides 2.7 support pretty soon the next version of
Ubuntu will ship with the next version of python as the default. The
best is to be in control of the python interpreter you use for
development and change it in your own timeframe, not because you
upgraded the OS and came with a new default interpreter. This is what
I do both for my Ubuntu and Mac development environment. I summarized
the steps for Ubuntu here:

http://www.gae123.com/articles/dpwf/apb.html

PK
www.gae123.com