Google offers multiple methods of authenticating
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java-gen2/runtime> your
app's users in Cloud Platform applications. Each method has different
purposes. Maybe this example
<https://github.com/firebase/quickstart-android> can help you. In Firebase,
when you see an Android example, it refers to a Java one. Also, at the end
of the firebase home page <https://firebase.google.com/> you can find this
example:

FirebaseAuth auth = FirebaseAuth.getInstance();

auth.signInWithEmailAndPassword(email, password)

    .addOnCompleteListener(new OnCompleteListener() {

        @Override

        public void onComplete(Task task) {

            if (task.isSuccessful()) {

                FirebaseUser user = task.getResult().getUser();

                String email = user.getEmail();

                // ...

            }

        }