Yes, the (a) automatic and (r) relative options will resize bar/column
widths and spacing as needed. The API is quite powerful, but there's
no "just do it my way" parameter, you have to work towards that.

If you really need consistent widths regardless of the number of data
series you'll need to look at specifying exact pixel values or
possibly relative percentages that calculated dynamically based upon
the number of data series. You'll probably need to calculate the width
of a month in pixels based upon your legend position, chart size, axis
labels, font size, etc. and then come up with an algorithm that will
give you CHBH values for that type of chart.

Again, I don't know how close you can get, but that's what I'd try.

Good luck,