Ok Warpitaly... this is what I did... I had exactly same problem as
you.

1 - install 3.0beta for linux (.deb downloaded from web)
2 - used the wine binaries included at this installation.... so:

cd /opt/google/picasa/3.0/wine/bin
./wine /home/feanor/Software/picasa36-setup.exe
(the ./wine is quite important)

3 - this installs at /home/feanor/.wine/drive_c but this is not our
objetive... so

su - (became root)
cd /opt/google/picasa/3.0/wine/drive_c/Program Files/Google
rm -Rf Picasa*
cp -Rf /home/feanor/.wine/drive_c/Archivos\ de\ programa/Google/
Picasa3/ ./
cd Picasa3/
mv PicasaUpdater.exe PicasaUpdater.exe.old

OK.... now, I can use the links to start Picasa configured by the
original .deb installer, and the version is 3.6....

It seems to be good.

NOTE: I used imagination, because the wiki did not solve my problem
and coulnt install 3.6 with wine because of picasaupdater.exe
problem....

Good luck.

I used Ubuntu Karmic.