Lars, I just tried the Fusion Tables, it is ABSOLUTELY the fastest
thing possible.  visit http://www.google.com/fusiontables/  and start
messing around.  I uploaded my data, had 3816 markers mapped just
about instantly.
I'm not 100% sure how it all works and what the best way to implement
it in a site is, but I know you can add a layer from fusion table and
it also will give you an embed link if you want to do that too.  For
me, it's perfect!
Eric