I've had better luck using the query code from
https://developers.google.com/chart/interactive/docs/spreadsheets and the
encodeURIComponent function.

For example:

function drawChart() {
var queryString = encodeURIComponent('SELECT C,A,E where E="Fun" ORDER BY
C,A');
var query = new
google.visualization.Query('google_sheet_url/gviz/tq?gid=1011451446&headers=1&tq='

+ queryString);
query.send(handleQueryResponse);
}

which comes from a live page <https://brisray.com/google-charts/csv.htm>.