>. This comment from Goktug: ..."*we use some tools that does code pruning
during build which helps some with the performance, and those tools are not
available for open source. Something we will eventually look at but not
very soon*" worries me. Is J2CL a 100% Java or you use other stuff that can
not be released?

The main difference between bazel and other build systems is that it is
built for an immutable view of code trees.   Bazel rules are perfectly
predictable from inputs to outputs, and this allows highly parallelized
builds and caching. Everything at Google is build from HEAD, not SemVer,
and so perfect cachability and deterministic build stability is important
for us.

Internally, we have "dev mode" interactive versions of the Closure Compiler
that can do lightweight pruning for rapid development, but these are tied
to internal infrastructure and specialized Bazel stuff that accumulates a
pruned JS-level dependency graph in parallel with the build targets.  So
it's not that it isn't written in Java (actually some of this stuff isn't),
but more that it's tied to internal build infrastructure, which is probably
overkill for external developers, and something much simpler, akin to
concatenating all your dependencies and running Webpack/Rollup style
pruning on it would be sufficient for development.

The nice thing about J2CL is writing this edit/refresh environments is far
far simpler than it was to do with GWT DevMode, as your IDE or build tools
can already do file watching/rebuild, whereas DevMode had the burden of
being an incremental build system unto itself.

-Ray