> However I have a general question about the DOCTYPE header directive in
> the various *.gwt.xml files.
>
> What is the good option among:
> a) these lines are useless because quirk/standard discussion is obsolete.
> Ok to remove?
> b) these lines have few effects, they are necessary, but the version
> reference 2.6 2.7 2.8... has absolutely no incidence. True?
> c) these lines are critical and with 2.8.x, they have to be updated to ...
> ???

The DOCTYPE is used by IDE's to provide XML autocompletion by looking at
the referenced DTD file. So if GWT 2.8 would have introduced new XML
elements and you want autocompletion for them you would need to update the
DOCTYPE accordingly. Other than that its not really needed as seen in GWT's
own *.gwt.xml files,
e.g.
https://gwt.googlesource.com/gwt/+/master/user/src/com/google/gwt/user/User.gwt.xml

-- J.