Friends:

I'm developing a Chemical drawing tool and have been progressing steadily
with a lot of difficulties. My technology stack is Java 8, GWT 2.8.2, GMD
2.x, Eclipse Photon, running on a MacBook Pro, and Chrome | Firefox | Opera
for testing. A limited functioning pilot is running at http://peruselab.com.

I just ran into a trouble that I couldn't figure out on my own. Below are
the relevant snippets of code that's causing trouble. The call (1)
ActionHandlerMap.getHandler(action) is expected to return an instance of
PeruseEventHandler. I expect the sequence of execution to be 1, 2, & 3.
However, upon returning from 2 (verified with the debugger) I see the
control going to 4 (screen clip 1) followed by throwing an exception
(screen clip 2). Any idea what could be wrong? Your help will be greatly
appreciated.

  PeruseEventHandler eventHandler = ActionHandlerMap.*getHandler*(action);
// 1
  Globals.*currentShape* = eventHandler.handle(*null*, *null*); // 3

*public* *class* ActionHandlerMap {

  *public* *static* *final* Map<Action, PeruseEventHandler>
*ACTION_HANDLER_MAP* = *new* HashMap<>();

  *static* {

    *ACTION_HANDLER_MAP*.put(Action.*DRAW_SINGLE_BOND*, *new*
SingleBondDrawingHandler());

  }

  *public* *static* PeruseEventHandler getHandler(Action anAction) {

    *return* *ACTION_HANDLER_MAP*.get(anAction); // 2

*public* *class* Globals {

  *public* *static* Action *action*;

  *public* *static* Shape *currentShape*; // 4

}
Enter code here...

Screen clip 1