On Sunday, June 2, 2019 at 1:22:09 AM UTC+3, Edson Richter wrote:

> This is my opinion (from a person with more than 30 years of experience in
> software enginnering), and I respect every other persons opinion - I'll
> just not put my eggs on this basket for another 8 years "just to see if it
> will get better".
> Last year I had big issue with dates, because GWT has outdated DST tables
> (backend had correct dates, front end show everything one hour earlier!!!).
> This is just one little big problem for enterprise apps. I've asked support
> for this issue here, without any result (if someone had pointed me how to
> fix, I'll contribute code back to the project!). Finally, I had to write my
> own DST table and use "creativity" to overcome this "bug".
> Not having support is also a big issue.

I can understand your frustration regarding this, but i wont call GWT just
because of this, specially that i know the CLDR in gwt have been updated to
the recent data, we still need to generate an updated DateTimeZone
constants file which is delayed because the generator is not found yet at
google, but we didnt stop there, and i already started a new tool to
generate this file, still not finished and needs more tests and review, but
my point is that updating GWT was slow because we had to go through the
gateways of google, but now as a community we can do things faster, all we
ask is that the community should also help, it is not in the hands of
google anymore, it is in our hands.

> Not being able to debug the code anymore is another one.

Can we blame GWT on this, the old dev mode have been deprecated for a long
time and is not even supported anymore by any of the browsers, but in the
same time browsers are getting better at debugging javascript, and this is
what we are actually do, i always debug in the browsers, and i dont think
that any other Js framework will give you any better options in this
regards. in my case i still can debug my code as java code in the IDE since
all my business logic resides in presenters that has nothing to do with gwt
;-).

> More and more, GWT will get those "pieces" failing... and finally, it
> won't be usable anymore.

I am not sure about this, instead of saying falling i would say migrated or
ported, we are already working on the next gwt version and one really good
thing we are doing is making sure that any migrated or ported module from
gwt2 should work in both gwt2 and gwt3, and so for we have already ported
may modules and there is no need to wait for next gwt version to start
using them , as you can start using then right now and mix them with what
ever you use from gwt2 and be ready for the next gwt version.