Over the last years our GWT development environment has eroded more and
more.
First the browser plugins seized to work, then the
mapping/JS-code-backtranslation stopped working and recently also the IDE
plugins for Eclipse and IntelliJ that would deploy the generated artifacts
to the correct places, start the code server and allowed some minimalistic
form of debugging seized to work. It is getting more and more not just
frustrating but really horrible and "mission impossible".

Thus a while ago I began an effort to port our application to GWT 2.10 and
Java 8 (our "production version" still runs with GWT 2.7 and Java 7 and I
can't go to higher Java versions due to some libraries, yet).

Meanwhile I found my way through all the library conflicts so that I am
able to build and generate a version that runs fine when deploying the
generated .war file to to a Tomcat Server (v8.5 in our case).

But being able to building a running version is one thing. The other is to
have a development setup that doesn't shy away developers crying and
yelling but allows to do decent client side code debugging.

With the "old" GWT plugin the commands "gwt:run" and "gwt:debug" didn't
work anymore with GWT 2.10. I keep getting the following error during Jetty
startup:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Object of class
'com.google.gwt.dev.shell.jetty.JettyLauncher.WebAppContextWithReload' is
not of type 'org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext'.
Object Class and type Class are from different loaders. in
file:///D:/Projects/our-app/our-app-web/target/our-app/WEB-INF/jetty-web.xml
     at
org.eclipse.jetty.xml.XmlConfiguration$JettyXmlConfiguration.configure(XmlConfiguration.java:421)

I also read in this forum that other people had issues with GWT 2.10 and
Jetty (and that the maintainers of GWT are aware of that but don't plan to
fix this) so I guess it's time to switch to deploying to Tomcat, instead.
Probably I also will switch to the new GWT plugin (by T.Broyer). I already
tried it and I can at least build the same .war file using it.

But how do I set this while thing up to provide a better developer
experience? Is there some example or description of how to deploy a GWT
2.10 application to a Tomcat server in development mode (i.e. with code
server and - if possible - hot code replacement, etc.)? How can GWT
development be made "convenient" or at least acceptable again?

Any pointers, descriptions or examples would be highly appreciated!