In my app, I need to dynamically set borders to some elements then
remove them.

to clear the border, I tried
element.getStyle().setProperty("borderStyle", "none");
element.getStyle().setProperty("borderWidth", "0px");
DOM.setStyleAttribute(element, "borderWidth", "0px");

it does clear the border, but also wipes out all other style
attributes. for example, I have float:left inside some div's, and I
meant to keep them.

funny thing is when I add the border,
                DOM.setStyleAttribute(element, "borderStyle", "solid");
                DOM.setStyleAttribute(element, "borderWidth", "1px");
                DOM.setStyleAttribute(element, "borderColor", "blue");

it leaves the float setting alone, it is only when I remove the
border, the float gets taken out.

how can I do this right?