Jeff,

Thanks very much for the reply--it's great news that this is now covered
by a spec (RFC 5064, btw ;-) .  I started skimming through that--I
guess the key thing afaic is the ability to specify the exact location
in the archive when the list server first issues the post, which, from
what I understand, it can do.

BTW, I don't really "run" any mail lists (well, except one on yahoo), so
I don't personally use any list server software, but I will start
spreading the word that this spec exists and try to get some list
servers interested in using it.

Randy Kramer