Hi all,

I'm moving this discussion to gossip because it is of general
interest. There are about 1000 uses of The Mail Archive's reply
feature every day. Based on David's request, I've put together
preliminary support for In-Reply-To to help with threading. You can
see it in action with curl and I'm also appending the relevant PHP
fragment. I don't think I have it quite right yet, especially with
respect to escaping, so suggestions are appreciated. It is a little
hard for me to test because my particular email setup
(Chrome/Ubuntu/GMail) does not seem to respect this feature at all.

To answer the other question, the reply feature intentionally goes to
the sender instead of the list. This seems like a reasonable balance.
Specifically, it avoids having messages silently dropped, which is a
very common list setting for non-subscribers. Plus a number of list
administrators feel more comfortable with private replies, and making
the hoi polloi do a little more work in order to contact the entire
list. Some admins have been very vocal about this preference.

$ curl -s -D - -d 'subject=Re: "challenging" subjectline' -d
'msgid=abc...@mail.gmail.com' -e
http://www.mail-archive.com/gossip@jab.org/msg01001.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/mailto.php  | grep Location

Location:
mailto:j...@jab.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5C%22challenging%5C%22%20subjectline&In-Reply-To=%3Cabc123%40mail.gmail.com%3E

$subject = $_POST['subject'];
$msgid = $_POST['msgid'];
$header = "Location: mailto:$name@$domain?"; .
    "Subject=" . rawurlencode($subject) . "&" .
    "In-Reply-To=%3C" . rawurlencode($msgid) . "%3E";

===