Spencer Fogg wrote:
Hi, GRASS users! I am a novice, and have only been using this program for a couple of months now. I'm having a problem using GRASS with postgres for a project at work, and I was wondering if you guys could help.

I'm working with shapefiles, and want to display them in GRASS. Some of these files are large enough to crash GRASS while cleaning, and even more take longer to draw and redraw than I'd like. To avoid this, I'm attempting to use v.external to connect to the files in a postGIS table, created using shp2pgsql. When I run v.external, however, I get a strange warning: "Random read is not supported by OGR for this layer, cannot build support." Then when I try to display the created vector layer, GRASS crashes.

Spencer,

On review of the OGR PostGIS driver I think this is a bug in the driver's
"TestCapabilities" method.  Are you in a position to rebuild your GDAL with
a patch?  I'd appreciate your filing a bug against GDAL/OGR for this issue,
and we can pursue the discussion there.

  http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/

Best regards,